none
How to avoid duplicate appointment creation in Outlook 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• I am developing an Outlook AddIn. I am syncing appointments from Outlook to a server but when two different users create same appointment means having same time and subject then they get synced as two different appointments though I am passing GlobalId but two different user have different GlobalId.  Can anyone help?
    Wednesday, December 30, 2015 10:07 AM

Answers

• Hi Anuraj,

How do you syncing appointments from outlook to a server?

If multiple users create the appointment at the same time, I think we can’t check a similar appointment already exists, because the other appointment isn’t saved.

To deal with this issue, you need to have a global resource that each client can apply.

For example, a WCF service with global variable of collection, when a user create an appointment, he need to apply a resource (an object contains time, subject and so on) from that service and the service will lock the collection and check whether there is a same object exist, if not, add a new item to that collection, then return that item and release the lock. For this way, others needs to wait to access that collection.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, December 31, 2015 5:47 AM

All replies

• Hello Anuraj,

You need to create an appointment item once and include the second user as an attendee. Use the Recipients property for adding attendees.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 12:31 PM
  • Why not check in your code that a similar (subject and time) appointment already exists before creating a new one?

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 7:16 PM
  • Hi Anuraj,

How do you syncing appointments from outlook to a server?

If multiple users create the appointment at the same time, I think we can’t check a similar appointment already exists, because the other appointment isn’t saved.

To deal with this issue, you need to have a global resource that each client can apply.

For example, a WCF service with global variable of collection, when a user create an appointment, he need to apply a resource (an object contains time, subject and so on) from that service and the service will lock the collection and check whether there is a same object exist, if not, add a new item to that collection, then return that item and release the lock. For this way, others needs to wait to access that collection.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, December 31, 2015 5:47 AM