none
Symbols are not displayed in PDF, when word is converted to pdf using 'ExportAsFixedFormat' ('Save As PDF' Microsoft Addin) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a word document that contains symbol (۝۝۝۝۝۝۝۝۝۝۝۝۝۝۝). symbol is ARABIC END OF AYAH(Unicode 06DD).
    When i tried to convert the word to PDF using Save As PDF Microsoft Addin, the symbol is missing. The symbols are shown as blank.

In Visual Studio 2010, we are using 'Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.dll' to convert to pdf. The below code is used to convert to pdf using Save As PDF Microsoft Addin

wordDoc.GetType().InvokeMember("ExportAsFixedFormat", BindingFlags.InvokeMethod, null, wordDoc, args);

The ExportAsFixedFormat method has an optional parameter (BitmapMissingFonts, the 13th one). I have set that value to true. But still the issue occurs.

Issue does not occurs in all systems. Most commonly it occurs in Windows XP system or Windows Server 2003 system that contains Microsoft Office Professional 2007 installed. Also the issue occurs while manually converting the word to PDF using 'Save As PDF'.

I have done latest windows updates. Also uninstalled 'Save As PDF' and reinstalled it again. But it does not work.

Can any one please help me on this?

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 4:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Shanavas

Well, I'm out of ideas and I seriously doubt that anyone else in here regularly will contribute anything useful, although I could be wrong... You say here that the problem also occurs when saving manually - Jay doesn't seem to have gotten this impression. I think it would be worthwhile to go back and mention you're also seeing it when working strictly in the UI. Solve the problem in the UI and you'll solve it for the APIs..

This is definitely an issue with the converter used by the Word application and there's nothing in the APIs that will make a bit of difference. The APIs work with the same tool as the UI - if anything, they offer even less functionality than the options available in the UI.

If you leave the discussion as "Unanswered" long enough, someone with more RTL experience may notice it. I also see that you're not the only person with the problem - someone has voted it "up" in that thread.

The only other thing I can suggest would be to look at third-party Word->PDF converters or try to program your own.

You could also try asking in an Adobe forum (owner of the PDF file format).

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Shanavas

The best place to get help with this would probably be the end-user forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/word

You'll find a lot more people here who work in non-English code page environments and who do conversions to PDF in their daily work. Someone there might have an idea what the "missing puzzle piece" may be, since the problem seems to be OS- and machine-related.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:40 PM
  • Hi Cindy,

Thanks for your reply.

I have already posted the issue in

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2007-word/symbols-are-not-displayed-in-pdf-when-word-is/c15a3208-1548-44ef-97dd-c2bb0879bcc2

I got the suggestions from the forum to post the issue in MSDN Developer's Forum. So what can be done next?

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 1:17 PM
  • Hi Shanavas

Well, I'm out of ideas and I seriously doubt that anyone else in here regularly will contribute anything useful, although I could be wrong... You say here that the problem also occurs when saving manually - Jay doesn't seem to have gotten this impression. I think it would be worthwhile to go back and mention you're also seeing it when working strictly in the UI. Solve the problem in the UI and you'll solve it for the APIs..

This is definitely an issue with the converter used by the Word application and there's nothing in the APIs that will make a bit of difference. The APIs work with the same tool as the UI - if anything, they offer even less functionality than the options available in the UI.

If you leave the discussion as "Unanswered" long enough, someone with more RTL experience may notice it. I also see that you're not the only person with the problem - someone has voted it "up" in that thread.

The only other thing I can suggest would be to look at third-party Word->PDF converters or try to program your own.

You could also try asking in an Adobe forum (owner of the PDF file format).

Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:11 PM