none
Report definition error, using Local Report and MSDN example RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I'm getting this error, which I've look for, but no answers to that:

The report definition is not valid.  Details: The report definition has an invalid target namespace 'http://schemas.microsoft.com/sqlserver/reporting/2008/01/reportdefinition

However, I'm using the example on MSDN, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms251724.aspx.

I downloaded the latest Report Viewer 2010 Distributable SP1 and installed without problems.

I had one example, in class, that I brought home and it worked fine. After the error using the example above, I've decided to start this classroom example from scratch. You know what: I did give the same error.

These are the machine's configurations:

O.S.: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 - latest updates

VS 2010 Developer SP1 - latest updates

SQL Express 2008 R2 Advanced Options SP1 - latest updates

Any help would be appreciated.

Helping improve public services through Information Technology

Sunday, April 22, 2012 8:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Heitor,

The only reason I can think to get that error is if the RDLC schema is newer then the version of the server or control that you are using. But based on your specs, I do not see that as the reason. 2008 schema is supported with that version of the control.

There is one other case, but I am not sure it would return the same error. This case would be where you are trying to use an RDL in an RDLC application. RDL is used for server mode, where RDLC is used for the localmode. But I believe this should return a different error.

I guess my recommedation would be to make sure there are no older versions of the control on your machine or being referenced by your application.

Brad Syputa, Microsoft Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

Monday, April 23, 2012 3:44 PM
  • Thanks Brad.

That's exactly what was happening. Once I removed older versions and perform a clean install - OS, SQL and VS - it worked fine. I believe that's because I've upgraded from Vista... Anyway, thanks again.

Helping improve public services through Information Technology

Thursday, April 26, 2012 4:51 PM