none
VS2015 Command Shells - Possible to use old SDK - C & C++ native code.

Question

• Sadly I would like to retain XP compatability for some of my projects. These are community based projects for use by fairly technical people, many of whom still use XP. At present I am using the Windows/7.0 SDK with MAKEMSI to produce MSI Installs.

I have installed VS2015 Community Edition added the XP build option and so can build "C" and "C++" programs from the gui. However the project is currently NMAKE based and produces many interlinked ".exe" command prompt files, so what I would really like is to have a command shells that uses the latest compilers with the down level SDK.

The documents skip over this. I can get command shells with the latest SDK and Compilers, or with the 7.0 SDK and the older compilers bundled with that but not old SDK and new compilers.

Dave G4UGM

Monday, January 4, 2016 1:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Dave Wade,

Do you want to build project with old SDK and new compilers or make MSI installers with old SDK and new compilers?

As far as I know, we can assign Platform Toolset with command "/p:PlatformToolset=v110/v100/v90" in MSBuild, which can let you compile your project to compatability with old windows version. So I think the MSBuild command shell is satisfied your requirenment.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662426.aspx

If misunderstanding, please feel free to come back to let me know.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 5:31 AM
  • Thanks for the response, I want to build the project with the old SDK, so it works for XP users, but compilers with the newer compilers so folks using VS2015 can easily build it for themselves. I will have a look at the link and let you know how I get on...

Dave G4UGM

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 10:17 AM
  • Hi Dave Wade,

I'm waiting for your response. If any question, please feel free to come back to let me know.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 1:33 AM