What happens when I shift my Database to non R2 version of SQL Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I want to know If I shift my Database from SQL Server 2008 R2 with MDS configured and implemented on a database. If I shift that database to another SQL Server having Simple SQL Server 2008 Std. edition where no MDS is availabe. Does my normal operations can persist without any issue except I loos MDM(Master Data Management) facility on new server. Or I may find some level of Data loss or mismatch also.

Can I do this?

Nilkanth Desai

Thursday, January 13, 2011 2:23 AM

Answers

• Hi Nilkanth,

You cannot attach or restore databases on older version. In your case you need to migrate your database.

I hope it helps.

Janos

There are 10 type of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 7:50 AM
  • Hi Nilkanth,

Based on my experience, the SQL Server Master Data Services(MDS) is a business intelligence soultion. In other words, it is just a application, which stores its data in SQL Server. As far as I know, the data stored in the data base does not use features that are only supported in SQL Server 2008 R2.
    So, in my opinion, we can migrate the MDS database to a SQL Server other than SQL Server 2008 R2. Then, please use the MDS configuration tool to connect to the new database.
    As Janos mentioned, we are unable to attach the database to an old version of SQL Server directly. Please use SQL Server Integration Services(SSIS) or other migration tools to migrate the data.

If there is anything unclear, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Friday, January 14, 2011 2:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Nilkanth,

You cannot attach or restore databases on older version. In your case you need to migrate your database.

I hope it helps.

Janos

There are 10 type of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 7:50 AM
  • Hi Nilkanth,

Based on my experience, the SQL Server Master Data Services(MDS) is a business intelligence soultion. In other words, it is just a application, which stores its data in SQL Server. As far as I know, the data stored in the data base does not use features that are only supported in SQL Server 2008 R2.
    So, in my opinion, we can migrate the MDS database to a SQL Server other than SQL Server 2008 R2. Then, please use the MDS configuration tool to connect to the new database.
    As Janos mentioned, we are unable to attach the database to an old version of SQL Server directly. Please use SQL Server Integration Services(SSIS) or other migration tools to migrate the data.

If there is anything unclear, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Friday, January 14, 2011 2:50 AM