OleDbDataAdapter Update Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have an encrypted table in an Access database which I want to fill a datatable with, unencrypt, allow the user to edit, encrypt, and write back out to the database. I'm using an OleDbDataAdapter for this. I have everything working, except that when I call the update function, instead of updating the rows in which the data has been changed, it inserts every row, changed or not, as a new row, so every time I update the table it doubles in size. Here's an abbreviated version of my code:

(Trusted connection)

DATACONNECTION = New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _

"Data Source=" & txtDbLocation.Text & ";")

DATAADAPTER = New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter(New OleDb.OleDbCommand("Select * From " & *Table name* & ";"DATACONNECTION))

Dim Builder As New OleDb.OleDbCommandBuilder(DATAADAPTER)

TABLE = New DataTable(*Table name from database*)

DATAADAPTER.Fill(tempTable)

TABLE.Rows.Clear()

DATAADAPTER.FillSchema(TABLE, SchemaType.Source)

* Unencrypt data from tempTable and insert into TABLE*

* Allow user to edit data in Unencrypted form *

Dim tempTable2 As New DataTable(TABLE.TableName)

DATAADAPTER.FillSchema(tempTable2, SchemaType.Source)

* Encrypt TABLE data and insert into tempTable2 *

DATAADAPTER.Update(tempTable2)

• Edited by DanErickson Monday, August 25, 2008 8:19 PM woops
    Monday, August 25, 2008 7:15 PM

Answers

• Problem solved! Turns out that since I was copying the data to a new temporary table, the rowstates were all set to 'created'. This meant that when I updated the dataadapter, every row appeared  to be new, so it just added all of them as new rows. I changed my fill and update logic to edit the main DataTable directly (without the use of a temporary table), and call the AcceptChanges() function of the DataTable after every call to DataAdapter.fill and it works fine now.
    • Marked as answer by DanErickson Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:02 PM
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:01 PM