none
VSTOInstaller Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• When trying to install a VSTO AddIn silently using VSTOInstaller I get a message from the "program compatibility assistant" saying that the solution wasn't installed probably. Is there a way to avoid this message instead of disabling the pca?
    Best regards, Feede
    Friday, October 14, 2011 11:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Feede,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

Would you please clarfiy some question:

1. What mean of "VSTOInstaller"? Is it a Click Once application?

2.Does your add-in have correct platform for your target machine?

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, October 17, 2011 9:57 AM
  • Hi Tom,

thanks for your reply.

1. Yes it is a Click Once application (Office AddIn) and I want to install it silent. That's why I need to use VSTOInstaller when I'm correct.

2. I tried to deploy it as x86 and x64 but that doesn't make any difference.

Best regards, Feede
    Monday, October 17, 2011 10:50 AM
  • Hi Feede,

I think we aren’t able to avoid the platform option. As far as I know the x86 Add-in must installed to x86 Office and x64 Add-in must installed to x64 Office. Please check the platform of your Office and to see whether have error between your Office and Add-in.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 5:09 AM
  • Hi Tom,

the Add-in is a x86 Add-in and my Office is also x86. The Add-in itself works fine. It's the VSTOInstaller itself that gets recognized as not compatible from the Program Compatibility Assistant.

Best regards, Feede
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 6:17 AM
  • Hi Feede,

I have reproduced your issue on my side. When I click VSTOInstaller.exe then close it the program compatibility assistant prompt will show. And it will not show again if you chose “This program is installed correctly” it will not prompt again. It will not affect you handle VSTO add-in’s deploy issue.

I hope what I said can help you.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:52 AM
  • Hi Tom,

that's what I meant :) The problem is that I can't install an Add-in with click once functionality silently because of this prompt...

Best regards, Feede
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:11 AM
  • Hi Feede,

I never see it will appear when I deploy my add-in via Click Once. Would you show me some screen shooting for this issue?

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 3:52 AM
  • hi Feede,

is it maybe a "Security Problem"?

When i try to install my VSTO-Addin in silent mode (not clickonce), I have to sign my Addin with our company certificate and put this certificate inside the "trusted publisher"-Store. Otherwise the addin cannot be installed silent.

Please try to install your addin like this (no silent mode):

"%commonprogramfiles%\microsoft shared\VSTO\10.0\VSTOInstaller.exe" /i "c:\temp\installfiles\MyAddIn.vsto"

I'm sure you will get a "securtity-promt which you have to accept first".

If so you will not be able to install it silent (right?).

If there is no prompt you could try it with this command (silent mode):

"%commonprogramfiles%\microsoft shared\VSTO\10.0\VSTOInstaller.exe" /i "c:\temp\installfiles\MyAddIn.vsto" /s

Tobias

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 6:02 AM