Can I explain privacy policy of app only using Community Ads is a subset of Microsoft's privacy policy? RRS feed

• Question

• I'd want to publish app which includes community ads. I have to write privacy policy since Community ads collect some personal data. My question is that is it OK not to include what data is collecting by app and to express this privacy policy is a subset of Microsoft Privacy Statement in my privacy policy

I currently write privacy policy as below.

• This privacy policy is a subset of Microsoft Privacy Statement
    • If you agree Microsoft Privacy Statement, you agrree this privacy policy
    • You can see your data which collected in Privacy dashboard
    • This app doesn't collect data but community ads and default function of all apps excecuting on Windows
    • You can opt-out to change privacy settings of Windows and Privacy dashboard

And, I don't write what data(unique advertising ID etc.) is collected. Is this privacy policy OK? Or should I write it?

I don't know the page which writes about what data is collecting by community ads and default function of all apps excecuting on Windows. If I have to write it, I want to know where the page is.

Thank you.

Monday, September 17, 2018 2:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Patriot821,

My question is that is it OK not to include what data is collecting by app and to express this privacy policy is a subset of Microsoft Privacy Statement in my privacy policy? 

Your privacy policy can't be the subset of Microsoft Privacy . If your app accesses, collects or transmits personal information, or if otherwise required by law, you must maintain a privacy policy. Your privacy policy must inform users of the personal information accessed, collected or transmitted by your app, how that information is used, stored and secured, and indicate the types of parties to whom it is disclosed. 

> If I have to write it, I want to know where the page is.

You must provide users with access to your privacy policy by entering the privacy policy URL in Dev Center when you submit your app. In addition, you may also include or link to your privacy policy in the app. The privacy policy can be hosted within or directly linked from the app. 

You can get more information in the document:  Personal Information

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 7:28 AM
  • Hi Patriot821,

> I'd like to know what personal data is collecting by Community Ads

You can use community ads to cross-promote your app which display banner or banner interstitial ads with other developers with apps in the Microsoft Store for free.So if you don't add code to your banner or banner interstitial ads to collect data, your community ads won't collect customer personal information. 

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 21, 2018 2:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Patriot821,

My question is that is it OK not to include what data is collecting by app and to express this privacy policy is a subset of Microsoft Privacy Statement in my privacy policy? 

Your privacy policy can't be the subset of Microsoft Privacy . If your app accesses, collects or transmits personal information, or if otherwise required by law, you must maintain a privacy policy. Your privacy policy must inform users of the personal information accessed, collected or transmitted by your app, how that information is used, stored and secured, and indicate the types of parties to whom it is disclosed. 

> If I have to write it, I want to know where the page is.

You must provide users with access to your privacy policy by entering the privacy policy URL in Dev Center when you submit your app. In addition, you may also include or link to your privacy policy in the app. The privacy policy can be hosted within or directly linked from the app. 

You can get more information in the document:  Personal Information

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 7:28 AM
  • Your privacy policy can't be the subset of Microsoft Privacy .

OK. Understood.

I know that I have to write what personal data collecting by app if an app collects any personal data. I'd like to know what personal data is collecting by Community Ads and would like to know the url that tell me what personal data is collecting by Community Ads. The page Personal Information may not write about what personal data is collected by Community Ads.

Thank you.

• Edited by Patriot821 Thursday, September 20, 2018 12:05 PM
    Thursday, September 20, 2018 12:04 PM
  • Community Ads here refers to Microsoft Advertising SDK's Community Ads.
    Thursday, September 20, 2018 12:08 PM
  • Hi Patriot821,

> I'd like to know what personal data is collecting by Community Ads

You can use community ads to cross-promote your app which display banner or banner interstitial ads with other developers with apps in the Microsoft Store for free.So if you don't add code to your banner or banner interstitial ads to collect data, your community ads won't collect customer personal information. 

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support

Friday, September 21, 2018 2:31 AM
  • Thank you very much, Tian. My question has been solved.

Since I don't add particular code to Community Ads(AdControl), my application doesn't collect personal data. So I understood that it is unnecessary to write privacy policy required by Microsoft.

Thank you.

Friday, September 21, 2018 5:06 AM