Very basic question, VERY basic RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone explain to me in simple English without using meaningless marketing terms like "enhances user experience" and such; what is Silverlight and what does it do?  I inadvertently installed Silverlight on a new computer recently and really couldn't understand what it was supposed to be doing for me and I uninstalled it.  Everywhere, I see blurbs touting Silverlight and links to download Silverlight, but nowhere an objective description of what Silverlight actually is or what it does.  It may be the greatest thing for the computer world since sliced bread and just takes some understanding of what it does and how to use it; and it may be trash for the masses that only a very small unique group of users need.  Can someone give me an objective description of what Silverlight is?  Thank You.  John

Saturday, January 26, 2008 3:49 AM

Answers

• Hi John,

For normal user, Silverlight is just like a Flash. Silverlight is developed by Microsoft. Let's take a look at Microsoft download center (normal version) and Microsoft Download Center beta (silverlight version). That beta version looks much better than old version. It will have nice color, animating and etc.

For .NET developer, Silverlight is much more than Flash.  

Saturday, January 26, 2008 6:58 AM

All replies

• Hi John,

For normal user, Silverlight is just like a Flash. Silverlight is developed by Microsoft. Let's take a look at Microsoft download center (normal version) and Microsoft Download Center beta (silverlight version). That beta version looks much better than old version. It will have nice color, animating and etc.

For .NET developer, Silverlight is much more than Flash.  

Saturday, January 26, 2008 6:58 AM
  • Thank you very much for an answer.  In other words, it is not only worthless to the masses, but actually a negative because it has all the silly, childish colors, animation and other "fluff and puff" that gobbles resources and does nothing to improve performance and reduce crashes and computer frustrations..
    Saturday, January 26, 2008 4:23 PM
  • Thank you very much for an answer.  In other words, it is not only worthless to the masses, but actually a negative because it has all the silly, childish colors, animation and other "fluff and puff" that gobbles resources and does nothing to improve performance and reduce crashes and computer frustrations..

lol John. Silverlight is absolutely not worthless to the masses, and it definitely isn't a negative. Assuming you're expressing what you truly believe here, that's a pretty myopic view of the current and future states of application development and user experience. You almost sound like you could be arguing for 100% green screen user experiences vs. window-based (mac, linux, Windows etc.) interfaces with all their silly colors and animation. :)

I'd encourage you to consider the possibilities of the types of applications that can be built on a technology that provides the power and flexibility of Silverlight, and the comfortable programming environment of Visual Studio 2008/ .NET

Pete

Saturday, January 26, 2008 7:38 PM
  • Hi John,

Actually, Silverlight is in very early stage. But I think it's pretty success since a lot of .NET developer are very interested about it and they all are wailting MIX08 to get the better Silverlight so-called SL 2.0. I know about crashing the browser or making the browsers slow. but it's just one of <bad>  characteristics of the early stage of RIA application. Since Ajax was born, the browsers got too much work to do.

Anyway, people will have Silverlight installed in their machines in future like we all have Flash player installed in our machine nowadays. The reason is simple.  You will be forced to install Silverlight anyways. because the site you love will use the Silverlight and it won't show their contents until you install SL. :)

Saturday, January 26, 2008 9:47 PM