Setting up the table design RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all !

This question may be very silly to post but I thought I may learn few things with the help of this post.

Actually, I am aware of how to create tables, primary key, foreign key, stored procedures. Also, I know to insert, update and delete data from it. I am trying to develop a report card application using vb.net. I am sharing the report card format below.

But I am a bit confused in designing the table structure. I request you all to kindly give me your opinions so I could do that in correct way. Thanks.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 6:29 AM

Answers

• Unless you are doing this strictly as an academic exercise, I highly suggest you not reinvent the wheel.  There are many free and minimal charge school and student management systems already. 

At least look at a free one and see how it handles the database design.

This is way to large a project to describe in a forum post.

• Marked as answer by Sid Williams Sunday, December 25, 2016 8:54 AM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 2:08 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Sid,

This is database designing requirement..

You may not be able to achieve all this just by using one single table. You may ended by designing few tables and they are referenced to other table. It looks you trying to prepare a report card of students.

Kindly mark the reply as answer if they help

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 7:42 AM
  • In addition to Sunil's comments, you are likely vastly over-simplifying your goal. A "report card" is generally just one output from a very, VERY complex system. You need to understand the data that you intend to capture, who uses or provides this data, when and how it will be captured, etc. There is a time element here that you do not mention - a report card is generated for a specific period/point in time. In short, it appears that you need to design a completely new system and all that you have shown is a single "report".

To put it another way - where do these grades come from? These grades belong to what person and for what reporting periods? Who will enter these grades? Does someone verify the accuracy of these grades? How do you calculate grade point? What are valid values for grades? What do your use of asterisks denote? Do you need to be able to generate report cards from past periods? Etc.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 1:45 PM
  • Unless you are doing this strictly as an academic exercise, I highly suggest you not reinvent the wheel.  There are many free and minimal charge school and student management systems already. 

At least look at a free one and see how it handles the database design.

This is way to large a project to describe in a forum post.

• Marked as answer by Sid Williams Sunday, December 25, 2016 8:54 AM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 2:08 PM
    Answerer
  • Well, this is for the sake of learning. I am trying to learn complex systems.
    Sunday, December 25, 2016 8:54 AM