Mail App: OWA on Windows Phone prependAsync only for pure Text? RRS feed

• General discussion

• If you have an appointment in Exchange with HTML content in body, you see it fine in OWA on Windows Phone.

If you then edit the appointment the content is shown in Notes as pure html (with html tags visible). If you click save, the content gets saved as Text parsed from HTML (it can keep bold, but drops all other tags (table, ...)).

Also using API call prependAsync to append text into appointments body:

• if called with Office.CoercionType.Html and HTML content, the function fails
    • if called with Office.CoercionType.Text and HTML content, the Notes shows the html as you would if editing appointment with HTML, but when you save it gets saved with tags as text. (i am assuming this is becouse the body type gets set to text)

I belive, that setting HTML content in OWA on Windows Phone is not supported...is this planned to be supported in future? (How far might this future be?)

This works on desktop and tablet.

Thank you

Anze Javornik

Thursday, June 12, 2014 4:42 PM

All replies

• Have a look at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/fp161141(v=office.1501401).aspx

CoercionType enumeration is used in Content apps and Task pane apps. And Office.CoercionType.Html is only applicable for data in Word 2013.

The result you got is different from description.

Now you can add Community Additions under the article. Also you can submit a feedback from:

http://officespdev.uservoice.com/

Monday, June 16, 2014 1:44 AM
  • It is not different according to this description http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/dn574748(v=office.1501401).aspx Where it says it should work if body is already of that type...and it is.

Anze Javornik

Monday, June 16, 2014 7:12 AM
  • Hi Anze,

Thank you for your input. I am checking with some product team folks to confirm the support story and will get back to you. Thank you for your patience.

Angelgolfer

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 1:16 AM
    Answerer
  • Hey Anze,

coercionType: html is not currently supported in running OWA from iPhone, Android Phone, or the Windows Phone. When you try to add html content using coercionType: text, seeing the escaped tags is the expected behavior.

I hope this helps!

Monday, June 30, 2014 10:44 PM
  • Thanks I expected as much. Just would like to point out the problem when you are trying to edit an email or appointment in html form from mobile OWA as it completly breaks the formating. Is this feature going to be implemented in future? Thank you

Anze Javornik

Monday, June 30, 2014 10:54 PM
  • Hi Anze,

are you saying that when you call item.setSelectedData (or prepend) and specify coercionType:html, the value gets inserted, but whatever formatting the user set previous is all broken in owa on mobile devices? Or are you getting an error returned, when you call those APIs?

Thursday, July 3, 2014 9:09 PM
  • Hi

Error is returned if you call prepeand (am not sure about setSelected) on any type of Body (if it already contains HTML or not).

To further explain what i think is the couse (maybe even a problematic behaviour in OWA on Windows phone):

1. in OWA on Windows phone open already existing appointment which already contains HTML body (table or something like that)
    2. while in read mode you Will see the body formated correctly - has HTML layout
    3. click Edit
    4. now you Will see that Notes input field contains pure HTML text
    5. make no changes and just save -> now check the Body

I guess that becouse of this limitation the CoercionType.HTML throws error, since OWA on Windows phone in edit mode is a "standard <textarea>" control.

Anze Javornik

Thursday, July 3, 2014 9:20 PM