none
How to have a Search box on Discussion Lists? RRS feed

• Question

• In community site, discussion lists, I want to have a SEARCH box which is similar to what is available in Custom List as 'Find an item'. This search box should be visible in all the views and search only within the Discussion list. Please advise.
    Tuesday, April 9, 2019 6:01 AM

All replies

• Hi

Default view will not have Search Box, You can change the view to Management View to get search box as in below image.

http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/eskaggs/archive/2013/12/03/sharepoint-2013-and-in-list-filterssearches/

Thanks

• Edited by ME_77 Tuesday, April 9, 2019 7:10 AM
    Tuesday, April 9, 2019 7:08 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. But the management view does not take the user to the page where the topic and replies are listed when the Subject is clicked. That's why I need in subject view. Is it possible to take the user back to topic and its replies page when the Subject is clicked?
    Tuesday, April 9, 2019 7:36 AM
  • Hi MC ROY,

There is no OOB way to add a search box into the Subject view of Discussion lists.

As a workaround, you can create a custom page and add Search Box web part and Search Results web part, then set the query string of the search results web part to your discussion list, like the below:

When you search using the Search Box web part, it will be like:

Please have a try and let's know if it matches your requirement.

Thanks,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 8:30 AM