none
SSL enabled ASP.Net devlopment without IIS, creating certificate issue. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All.

I am doing development on a web application which uses a web service and it is SSL enabled. I can access the service throuhg IE but I cant use it in my application. I have found the issue. I have to provide a dummy SSL certificate using makecert.exe or buy a certificate(which definitly I wont buy). I have creaated this certificate too but I dont know how to assign this certificate to the application or service as I am not using IIS for my development activity. Please help me on this. Also if you can provide me a standard makecert instruction to create certificate, it will be of great help.

Error message:

A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond <ip address of the service>

Friday, July 19, 2013 9:12 AM

Answers

• Hi,

>>if you can provide me a standard makecert instruction to create certificate, it will be of great help

As you know, you can utilize Makecert.exe tool to generate X.509 certificates for testing purposes, see Makecert.exe (Certificate Creation Tool) 

>> have creaated this certificate too but I dont know how to assign this certificate to the application or service as I am not using IIS for my development activity.

After installing the certificate, you need to map it to the port specified in the WCF Service configuration file and you can set clientCredentialType as None to allow an anonymous client.

<security mode="Transport">
           <transport clientCredentialType="None"/>
      </security>

Reference #WCF self hosted service over HTTPS

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/131048/WCF-self-hosted-service-over-HTTPS

Best Regards.

Haixia
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Saturday, July 20, 2013 5:16 AM