SQL 2008 Express unattended installation?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I was wondering someone might be able to help me. I am using Microsoft SQL 2008 express edition as part of a bigger project. I am currently writing an installer for that project and i want to install Microsoft SQL 2008 as well. The problem is that there are simply too many options in the installer of the server for an average user to set up. So i was wondering if there is a way of creating an unattended install of SQL Server with predefined options so that the end user will not have to configure anything manually.

Thanks again and i hope that someone will come up with an answer.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 3:06 PM

Answers

•  You have a couple of options...
    1. If you're building a ClickOnce application, or you're building your writing a Visual Studio Setup Project, you can use the SQL Server 2008 Express Prerequisite. We've already done the work here to install SQL Server 2008 Express onto the end-users computer using the instance name of SqlExpress. If you want to use a custom instance name it is possible to manually hack the SQL Express bootstrapper, but this requires some knowledge of how the VS Generic Bootstrapper works. (It's in MSDN if you want to read about it.)
    2. If you're building a completely custom installer, you can build the command line yourself. Information about command line installation, including using quiet mode, is available in Books Online.

Regards,
    Mike

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 12:20 AM

All replies

•  You have a couple of options...
    1. If you're building a ClickOnce application, or you're building your writing a Visual Studio Setup Project, you can use the SQL Server 2008 Express Prerequisite. We've already done the work here to install SQL Server 2008 Express onto the end-users computer using the instance name of SqlExpress. If you want to use a custom instance name it is possible to manually hack the SQL Express bootstrapper, but this requires some knowledge of how the VS Generic Bootstrapper works. (It's in MSDN if you want to read about it.)
    2. If you're building a completely custom installer, you can build the command line yourself. Information about command line installation, including using quiet mode, is available in Books Online.

Regards,
    Mike

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 12:20 AM
  • Thank you very much that worked like a charm...
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 12:04 PM
  • I am using a Setup Project in Visual Studio 2008 Standard, and checked Sql Server 2005 as a prerequisite.
    However, when I build my msi and run it, Sql Server is never installed. My build log does not show it being packaged.

I checked, and the correct files are in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\V6.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\SqlExpress\en/
    ->SqlExpr32.exe
    ->Package.xml
    ->Eula.txt

I am running Vista OS.

Am I missing a step somewhere?
    Should I see SqlExpr32.exe in the build log?
    Monday, February 2, 2009 2:41 AM
  • I'm not sure what should be in the build log because VS generates that. I'd suggest asking this question on the VS forums.

Regards,
    Mike
    Monday, February 2, 2009 4:35 PM