Packaging for customized components RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have created my own set of user controls,templates(item & project),code snippets etc.I want to package this components.Can anyone suggest me how this can be achieved other than .vsi?

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 11:47 AM

Answers

• Hi, Hepsi

I assume the deployment for this is easy, You could use setup and clickonce or wix to deploy your template.

Your deployment mainly includes the following two steps.

1.    Copy the templates to their folder.

2.    Use /InstallVSTemplates commandline to install the templates.

For example, I create a winform item template named “MDIForm.zip”.

1.    First , I should copy it to %VS90COMNTOOLS%..\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSharp\Windows Forms\1033(%VS90COMNTOOLS% is the environment variable for visual studio 2008 tools folder).

2.    After all the templates was copied to their folders, I run the commandline

%VS90COMNTOOLS%..\IDE\devenv.exe /InstallVSTemplates to install them.

I am not familiar with setup project, but I know the two steps are not hard to execute.

Thanks

Chao

• Marked as answer by Chao Kuo Thursday, May 20, 2010 2:59 AM
    Friday, May 14, 2010 9:33 AM
  • Hi, Hepsi

We usually use tool box control installer(based on wix) to install our winform and webform controls, see this tutorial.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb286995(VS.80).aspx

I think for deploying templates and code snippet, wix is a better approach.

Thanks

Chao

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 3:00 AM

All replies

• Hi, Hepsi

I assume the deployment for this is easy, You could use setup and clickonce or wix to deploy your template.

Your deployment mainly includes the following two steps.

1.    Copy the templates to their folder.

2.    Use /InstallVSTemplates commandline to install the templates.

For example, I create a winform item template named “MDIForm.zip”.

1.    First , I should copy it to %VS90COMNTOOLS%..\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSharp\Windows Forms\1033(%VS90COMNTOOLS% is the environment variable for visual studio 2008 tools folder).

2.    After all the templates was copied to their folders, I run the commandline

%VS90COMNTOOLS%..\IDE\devenv.exe /InstallVSTemplates to install them.

I am not familiar with setup project, but I know the two steps are not hard to execute.

Thanks

Chao

Friday, May 14, 2010 9:33 AM
  • Hi Chao,

Thanks for your reply.

Forgot to mention before, that the setup which I want to create is for Smart device applications(VS 2008,c#) and not for Windows application.

Can it be achieved for smart device applications using the procedure what you have mentioned.Also the components which I want to install are not only templates.It includes User controls,Intellisense Code snippets as well.Can it be done for these components as well?

Waiting for your suggestions

Friday, May 14, 2010 10:04 AM
  • Hi, Hepsi

What do you mean by the Usercontrol? Is it the Usercontrol item template?

For Codesnippet, it does not do any registration in the regedit, all the codesnippets are stored in

<Program Files>\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC#\Snippets\1033

You just need to copy them to the right location in this folder.

You mentioned that you template is Smart device template, so you need to deploy the project in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\CSharp\SmartDevice\1033, and for itemtemplate, And for itemtemplate deploy them in %VS90COMNTOOLS%..\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSharp\Windows Forms\1033, and set the ShowByDefault element to false.

Thanks

Chao

Monday, May 17, 2010 5:32 AM
  • Hi Chao,
    User controls are custom controls which can be created to meet our requirements.Like how we have the butoons,checkboxes available in toolbox of visual studio we can have our own custom controls.I think even if we place  the templates in \Visual Studio 2008\Templates folder templates will work.The only problem is with the user controls.If I simply place the user control dll in the Controls folder it will not appear in toolbox.So i wanted to know the way by which I can install the user controls  so that they appear in the toobox window

Thanks

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 11:24 AM
  • Hi, Hepsi

We usually use tool box control installer(based on wix) to install our winform and webform controls, see this tutorial.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb286995(VS.80).aspx

I think for deploying templates and code snippet, wix is a better approach.

Thanks

Chao

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 3:00 AM