Request: Remove the HomeGroup Feature from Windows 8

General discussion

• Is there any possibility that the HomeGroup feature could be removed from Windows 8?

The HomeGroup feature feels like a marketing feature that is designed to sell the product, rather than actually do something useful. Windows needs better networking tools, but these tools need to be well-organized and centered around a standard that works with other operating systems besides Windows 7 and Windows 8. If the network options are configured well enough, HomeGroups will be completely unnecessary; setting up a regular network should be just as easy in Windows 8.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:54 PM

All replies

• I agree here; we as Windows users are being forced to use the HomeGroup feature with no ability to turn it off.  I have a 24/7 home server at my house and have reasons for wanting to use advanced sharing features (e.g. in some cases I want a specific user to have read-only access to certain shares or folders).  I do not like seeing the HomeGroup folder show up in Windows Explorer when it isn't being used.  

On another note - I also hate seeing the "My Documents/Music/Pictures" etc as well because I don't believe in storing important items such as this on a PC (versus a server with multiple levels of backup).

I think that these features have their place with inexperienced users however without the ability to turn this off gives the experienced users a bad experience.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 11:45 PM
  • @Obsidience

Actually, I figured out how to set up a network without going through the HomeGroup feature, but Microsoft doesn't make it easy. I have edited my post to reflect this.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 2:26 AM
  • would it not be easier to simply select share with "whom"..  instead of everybody... then you can select who can get what. or who can not have access.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:23 PM