Blend crashes every time I try to use sample data RRS feed

• Question

• I open my project, go to data tab, new sample data. It adds a SampleDataSource. I try to change the name of the first property and blend immediately crashes:

This happens no matter what page or control I am on. I tried this in a brand new project and I DID NOT get the error. Can't really start this project over though! What could this be?

Also I have tried going New Sample Data From Class and selecting one of my view models. For the life of me I can't figure out how to set any values. I try the "Edit Sample Data Values" button but I get shown this giant xaml file that is written in some strange language. and I mean HUGE. I've seen tutorials that show a class editor that pops up but its seems mine doesn't. 

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 12:31 AM

Answers

• Hi bccollin,

We found that the cause of the crash was from XAML code DisplayMemberPath="Des"
    which can be fixed by change it to itemTemplate
    ItemTemlate=’{StaticResource SimpleTemplate}’
    <DataTemplate x:Key=’SimpleTemplate’>
         <TextBlock Text=’Des’/>
    </DataTemplate>

If you don't want to change exisitng code, you may click the 'X' button on the top-right corner of the popup windows "searching for exisiting references .." instead of click the "Cancel" button. By do so, the error window would close without crashing Blend. When the windows is close, the renaming sample data property will not be changed. You may save and close the project,, re-open the project you will see the property name were actually changed.

Blend fix for that will be coming in SP1, which will remove all those error.

Thanks, Harry Huang [MSFT]
    • Proposed as answer by Harry.MSFT Monday, July 19, 2010 6:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by bccollin Wednesday, July 21, 2010 5:35 PM
    Monday, July 19, 2010 6:24 PM

All replies

• Do you have visual studio? i think i saw somewhere you can attach a debugger to blend so when it throws an exception, you can step through it.
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 3:50 PM
  • Hi bccolin,

For your question 1:
    Can you please run Blend in debug mode:
    [installationFoler]\Blend.exe /ExceptionLog
    then open your project and repeat those steps that crash Blend. When Blend crash, a notepad would automatically popup with all Exceptions log.
    Would you might send the ExceptionLog file to harryh @ microsoft dot com

For your question 2:
    Please look at my answer in other thread:
    http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/blend/thread/6018ba5d-8487-4f00-8e5c-89fe5fba9c4b

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 7:04 PM
  • Thanks, I emailed you.
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 4:45 PM
  • Correction on the answer for the second question:

The linked thread was for "create sample data from class". As your question was regarding the new sample data,  Blend provided the dialog for editng Collection property only (by click on the "Edit Sample Values" button on the right side of that collection), other properties editing you have to do it directly from XAML.

Thank you for the exceptionLog. We are investigating it now.

Thursday, July 8, 2010 7:27 PM
  • Hi,

I also have the same problem, when I try to create a SampleDataSource from a exsisting data class.

Then blend gives me "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

It works for some of my data classes but not all :(

How can I get more information from blend to debug this problem?

Thanks

Dwane
    Friday, July 16, 2010 12:57 PM
  • I have been working with Harry and they were able to reproduce the bug and create a fix for SP1. I believe he is also trying to find a workaround for us. I'll keep you posted.
    Friday, July 16, 2010 1:33 PM
  • Hi Dwane,

Brandon's issue was understood and a fix will be made available in Blend 4 SP1. However, I would not be so sure that his issue was the same as yours as his scenario was very specific to renaming sample data properties.

Just to be sure, it would be great if you could send me a repro project at unnir at microsoft dot com, so I can investigate.

Thanks,
    Unni

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 16, 2010 5:22 PM
  • Hi bccollin,

We found that the cause of the crash was from XAML code DisplayMemberPath="Des"
    which can be fixed by change it to itemTemplate
    ItemTemlate=’{StaticResource SimpleTemplate}’
    <DataTemplate x:Key=’SimpleTemplate’>
         <TextBlock Text=’Des’/>
    </DataTemplate>

If you don't want to change exisitng code, you may click the 'X' button on the top-right corner of the popup windows "searching for exisiting references .." instead of click the "Cancel" button. By do so, the error window would close without crashing Blend. When the windows is close, the renaming sample data property will not be changed. You may save and close the project,, re-open the project you will see the property name were actually changed.

Blend fix for that will be coming in SP1, which will remove all those error.

• Proposed as answer by Harry.MSFT Monday, July 19, 2010 6:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by bccollin Wednesday, July 21, 2010 5:35 PM
    Monday, July 19, 2010 6:24 PM
  • Thanks for you help Harry.
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 5:35 PM