none
Where is the best description of how to render a TOC? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all;

We need to render a TOC that we build to match how Word renders it. The docs all have a good description of what the flags for a TOC field mean. But nothing about how to render based on those flags. And there seems to be some weird rules about when there is a tab between the bullet/number and the paragraph text and when it's a space. Also, it's not clear where the right margin tab setting comes form.

Is this all written up anywhere? Like there is a good writeup for what auto width means for tables.

thanks - dave

Who will win The Windward International Collegiate Programming Championships?

Friday, November 1, 2013 5:11 PM

Answers

• Hi David,

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any document that covers rendering the TOC the way Word does; it is not part of the ISO 29500 specification, and is not considered necessary for Interoperability.

Regards,

Mark Miller | Escalation Engineer | Microsoft Open Protocols Team

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 10:22 PM

All replies

• Hi David,

A member of the open protocols team will investigate this issue and follow up with you on this forum thread.

Regards,

Friday, November 1, 2013 9:51 PM
  • Hi David,

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any document that covers rendering the TOC the way Word does; it is not part of the ISO 29500 specification, and is not considered necessary for Interoperability.

Regards,

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 10:22 PM
  • Hi David

I think your best resource for this will the an end-user group - someone like Suzanne Barnhill, who's intimately familiar with styles and TOCs and field codes.

In a general sort of way, the first thing you need to analyze are the TOC styles as those will define the base-line formatting.

After that, you need to take the TOC rules into account. Some of them are what's defined in the TOC field code, the rest are "behavioral" rules, such as when the TOC will pick up formatting from the original text, the tab question you pose, etc. And for this last you need someone like Suzanne...

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 4:38 PM