VS2015 vs VS2017 RTL Distribution Issue RRS feed

• Question

• My Wildcat! package is currently compiled with VS2015 and the vs2015 RTL is distributed and installed.  The system comes with long time AutoUpdate (AUP) system where customers can electronically update their installation.  Only new images are updated.  If the customer is up to par, a "There is nothing to update" is shown.

I investigated a customer report indicating their AUP was constantly asking to install the "MFC v14.0 redistribution."  When he allowed the AUP to continue with the installation, it failed to install.   I found out that it was related to an installed vs2017 by another package (WireShark) recently installed on his PC.

Researching online, I see there are problems with the compatibility of vs2015 vs vs2017,  not functionally, but installation wise.  The installation of vs2017 removes the vs2015 detectable elements, thus explaining why the AUP continued to ask for it and trying to reinstall vs2015 fails.    The solution for the customer was to remove the vs2017 installation, rerun the AUP and have it reinstall vs2015.  It is ok now.

But my question is,  what would be the proper thing to do here for my AUP system?

1) Distribute the vs2017 RTL for my vs2015-compiled package?

2) Find out what GUID is vs2017 and update the guid detection logic which, off hand, would be if the vs2015 or vs2017 guid is detected, skip the vs2015 installation.

Thanks

Hector Santos, CTO Santronics Software, Inc. http://www.santronics.com

Friday, August 9, 2019 1:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Since this forum is for Application Compatibility for Windows Desktop Development, but this thread is more related to Visual Studio development issue, I suggest to ask on VS's official website to get the most professional support.

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/

Best regards,

Drake

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 1:52 AM