none
SSMS CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'

Question

• I’m working in an environment where developers cannot install their own software at my company Windows 10 laptop. So I provided the service desk with the installations for SQL-Server Express and SQL-Server Management Studio 2017 and sat with them during both installations under their login. Express was installed first followed by SSMS.

Login under my account, fired up SSMS (using Windows authentication), for a test I attempted to create a database and received the following (I have excluded the full stack)

CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

Next I went into server properties, Permissions, BUILTIN\Users, set the following and received

Grantor does not have GRANT Permissions (Microsoft SQL-Server, Error 4613)

Went back to the service desk, they login as an administrator and received the same errors as per above.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this issue.

Thanks for any assistance.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Friday, February 09, 2018 10:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Karen, during the express install, was any account specified as sys admin in one of the install screens?  Also, you may be able to use SQL authentication and use the SA account, assuming you have the password to it, which was also assigned during the install.
    Friday, February 09, 2018 11:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Karen, during the express install, was any account specified as sys admin in one of the install screens?  Also, you may be able to use SQL authentication and use the SA account, assuming you have the password to it, which was also assigned during the install.
    Friday, February 09, 2018 11:06 PM
  • Hi rvsc48,

There were no prompts for this and several post on the web mention this. Now at home when I installed enterprise edition of SSMS I was prompted for an account, did so and has been just fine for three years.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Friday, February 09, 2018 11:14 PM
  • Update, seems when I installed EXPRESS that by selecting "basic" installation this bypassed doing the admin password and prevented me from doing pretty much anything that would create or alter an object.

I had the security/service desk uninstall, do the custom install, set the password and now works.

VB Forums - moderator

Monday, February 12, 2018 8:36 PM