Am I expecting too much from my host? RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure what section this best fits but as I feel most "at home" here, I thought I'd place this here for comment, hopefully it's appropriate. 

I recently (about two weeks ago) deployed my first project online for a shakedown cruise and comments.  Since then approximately 6 times I've found it offline.  I don't have anyway of knowing for how long in general, but at one point I exchanged emails with the host for about an hour till they advised me to restart the DNS service to "fix" the problem.  In the several exchanges I've had with them in the last week and a half or so about this issue, they have advised me that these outtages are caused by installing new software to accomodate another client, or backing up their servers.  I get a lot of "gee, we're sorry for the inconvenience" but that's about it. I'm the first to admit my inexperience with this but... is this really how it goes?

So... to me, this seems nuts.  But, since this is my first experience with this, I thought maybe that's what you get considering what I pay for hosting is pretty remarkably cheap.  I want to hasten to point out that this is one of the most widely advertised hosts... not the cheapest but certainly not the priciest.  I went with them because of their high profile, and widely advertised expertise in SL and RIA hosting.  I have no problem with writing off my small investment with them and switching but if this is considered SOP...

So... is it me or would you guys also find this unacceptable?

Monday, June 7, 2010 8:41 AM

Answers

• I recognize your name, so I don't consider it spam at all ;)  I'll look into them, thanks for the suggestion...

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 2:27 PM

All replies

• please, don't consider this a spam message.. but I've recently moved to winhost.com and I suggest to try it... it could be worty to have a try since payments are done on a montly basis. Hope this helps.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 10:21 AM
  • I recognize your name, so I don't consider it spam at all ;)  I'll look into them, thanks for the suggestion...

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 2:27 PM