none
Location of public_html directory in windows RRS feed

• Question

• I have been searching for the answer to "the location of public_html directory in windows", but haven't got any till now. I am trying to create a website from the scratch and host it from my windows machine.

Once its thoroughly tested, I would like to host it on a server. I got lots of info on googling about other related topics, but not the exact answer. Please help me with this.

When I check the system root folder, it shows as c:\windows. Should I create the public_html folder inside this (which to me is not a good choice). 

Thanks

drvnm

• Edited by drvnm Wednesday, May 23, 2018 11:37 AM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2018 9:38 AM

All replies

• You don't need to create a public_html folder on your computer.

On your computer create a folder anywhere you want and call it whatever you want.  For example it could be located on your C: drive and be called MyWebsite.

Then use that location as you build your website.  Your website can contain many files and folders, and they will all be in the folder MyWebsite.

When you are ready to publish your website at your webhosting company, they will give you a folder address to which you publish it.

Different companies use different addresses for that folder. It could be named Public_html or httpdocs or whatever.  When publishing, you connect to that folder, and you copy all the files from your MyWebsite folder to that public_html folder at your host.

ClarkNK AKA HomePage Doctor
    Database Tutorials Using ASP.NET Controls
    My recommended web hosting company: RDOServers

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 12:41 PM
  • Where do you see "the location of public_html directory in windows"? It will help to know the context of that. It might be saying something important that we don't know.

You also say that you want to host the web site for development purposes. If the site is HTML and CSS and JavaScript then you don't need anything else to do that and you can put the site anywhere you want to. A good place might be your Documents folder. In Expression Web it is possible to use the Site menu to open a web site from your local filesystem.

If however you want to do anything server-side using ASP.Net or PHP then you will need a server. You can use IIS in Windows 10; it is provided with Windows 10 but it is optional so you might not have it installed. Expression Web does not support server-side programming very well; Visual Studio is better for that.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 4:17 PM
  • Simple Samples,

EW comes with its own development server.  You don't need anything else to run asp.net and PHP.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Thursday, May 24, 2018 12:24 AM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2018 7:37 PM
  • "I am trying to create a website from the scratch and host it from my windows machine.

Once its thoroughly tested, I would like to host it on a server."

You test your site in EW by using the "preview in browser" command, testing in as many browsers as you plan to support: install all the widely used browsers on your PC in order to do this. If you have content other than purely static content, set your site to always preview using EW's built-in development server (Site - Site settings - Preview tab) so your pages will be running on a server and can run asp.net, PHP, and will display active content (JavaScript) without being blocked in IE.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Thursday, May 24, 2018 12:31 AM
    Thursday, May 24, 2018 12:31 AM
  • You have said nothing about using ASP.Net and/or PHP. If you do intend to use anything like that then that is a big subject and is best answered in a separate question. Since you have not said you need that you will not get as much help with it in this thread. In fact, for ASP.Net there is a totally different website for questions about that.

I know from experience that when a person asks a question that is not clear about what they need and then they don't reply further then the thread continues to live and grows to be quite long with speculation.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Thursday, May 24, 2018 1:02 AM