none
Cannot get C# interactive to open in VS 2015 Update 2

Question

• I'm trying to get the C# interactive window to open in VS 2015 Update 2.  However, I get a failure saying to look at the ActivityLog.xml.  So I do, and I get the errors below.

I've tried pretty much ever reset option documented on the devenv.exe, but nothing works.  Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this?

<entry>
        <record>2843</record>
        <time>2016/03/31 15:20:41.557</time>
        <type>Information</type>
        <source>VisualStudio</source>
        <description>Begin package load [CSharpVsInteractiveWindowPackage]</description>
        <guid>{C5EDD1EE-C43B-4360-9CE4-6B993CA12897}</guid>
      </entry>
      <entry>
        <record>2844</record>
        <time>2016/03/31 15:20:41.574</time>
        <type>Error</type>
        <description>SetSite failed for package [CSharpVsInteractiveWindowPackage]</description>
        <hr>80131500</hr>
        <errorinfo>No exports were found that match the constraint:
     ContractName Microsoft.VisualStudio.LanguageServices.CSharp.Interactive.CSharpVsInteractiveWindowProvider
     RequiredTypeIdentity Microsoft.VisualStudio.LanguageServices.CSharp.Interactive.CSharpVsInteractiveWindowProvider</errorinfo>
      </entry>
      <entry>
        <record>2845</record>
        <time>2016/03/31 15:20:41.576</time>
        <type>Error</type>
        <description>End package load [CSharpVsInteractiveWindowPackage]</description>
        <hr>80131500</hr>
        <errorinfo>No exports were found that match the constraint:
     ContractName Microsoft.VisualStudio.LanguageServices.CSharp.Interactive.CSharpVsInteractiveWindowProvider
     RequiredTypeIdentity Microsoft.VisualStudio.LanguageServices.CSharp.Interactive.CSharpVsInteractiveWindowProvider</errorinfo>
      </entry>

Thursday, March 31, 2016 3:25 PM

Answers

• I finally got it working, and getting this to be fixed was ridiculous. 

I had to uninstall visual studio, but uninstalling visual studio doesn't actually completely uninstall visual studio!  There are bits a pieces of it left over all over the place on my hard drive.  And because it caches all it's setup packages locally, who knows if there was some package left over from the Release Candidate, or the previous update, or whatever.

Rename the %Program Data%/Package Cache

Remove the Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14 directory

Remove the %AppData%\Local\Micrsoft\Visual Studio 14 directory

Go through program files, remove everything related to visual studio 2015

Run the visual studio vs_enterprise /uninstall /force a few times to remove any remaining things that were missed in the first uninstall!!!

Install visual studio again

I got some crazy errors when I started it up.

Rename the new package cache, restore the old one, then copy the new files from the new package cache into the old one.

Restore Visual Studio

Finally it worked.

Microsoft should fix the installer so that when you uninstall visual studio, it actually uninstalls EVERYTHING.  Again it's flat out ridiculous the steps I had to go through to get this to work.

Sunday, April 03, 2016 3:13 AM

All replies

• Hi no_i_am_spartacus,

I install the VS2015 with update 2 in my windows 8.1 machine, the C# interactive window works well.

I download it here:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspx

If possible, you could run the following command lines:

1. Devenv.exe /ResetSettings: Restores the IDE's default settings, optionally resets to the specified VSSettings file.

2. Devenv /setup: This command is used to build menus, commands and registry settings for all VS packages. Many VS add-ons contain packages. When we get package errors for an add-on, the first thing to try is repairing the add-on. If the repair doesn't work, just run devenv /setup.

3. Devenv /SafeMode: This command will start VS in safe mode. In safe mode, VS will not load any third party packages.

If still no help, I suggest you repair or re-install and install it in your side.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, April 01, 2016 8:07 AM
  • I gave all those a try.

I tried repairing.  I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling!  Which to my surprise it still kept all my extensions installed.  In my opinion, it's not a true uninstall if it's keeping old data around.  It's especially dangerous in cases like this where the install / configuration has issues.

I tried the /clearcache and /updatesettings.  I tried renaming the visual studio\14 directory under %AppData%.

I have visual studio installed on a laptop at home and C# interactive works fine there also.  So, I'm really not sure what it is about this machine that's causing the issue.  It had been working fine in Update 1 on the same machine.

I wish there was a way to get better logs from why SetSite failed.

Friday, April 01, 2016 1:20 PM
  • I finally got it working, and getting this to be fixed was ridiculous. 

I had to uninstall visual studio, but uninstalling visual studio doesn't actually completely uninstall visual studio!  There are bits a pieces of it left over all over the place on my hard drive.  And because it caches all it's setup packages locally, who knows if there was some package left over from the Release Candidate, or the previous update, or whatever.

Rename the %Program Data%/Package Cache

Remove the Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14 directory

Remove the %AppData%\Local\Micrsoft\Visual Studio 14 directory

Go through program files, remove everything related to visual studio 2015

Run the visual studio vs_enterprise /uninstall /force a few times to remove any remaining things that were missed in the first uninstall!!!

Install visual studio again

I got some crazy errors when I started it up.

Rename the new package cache, restore the old one, then copy the new files from the new package cache into the old one.

Restore Visual Studio

Finally it worked.

Microsoft should fix the installer so that when you uninstall visual studio, it actually uninstalls EVERYTHING.  Again it's flat out ridiculous the steps I had to go through to get this to work.

Sunday, April 03, 2016 3:13 AM