Bindings.addFromSelectionAsync method crashing Word for iPad RRS feed

• Question

• In my task pane app for word, I am calling addFromSelectionAsync:

Office.context.document.bindings.addFromSelectionAsync(Office.BindingType.Text, { id: 'MyBinding' },
                         function(asyncResult) {

});

This call is crashing Word on the iPad, but it is working fine for Word 2013 on the desktop. The doucmentation says this method is supported for the iPad. Has anyone else experienced this behavior? Is there a workaround?

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 2:33 PM

Answers

• Got an update from Microsoft. This issue is fixed in the next version of Word on the iPad that will be released soon.
    • Marked as answer by picke122 Friday, July 17, 2015 4:19 PM
    Friday, July 17, 2015 4:19 PM

All replies

• Hi picke122,

>> This call is crashing Word on the iPad

What do you mean by this? Are the app for office and app for ipad the same task pane? Was your word on the iPad crashing or the app for office application crashing? If your word application on the iPad crashed, I suggest you remove the task pane, and then check your word application could work correctly. If your app for office application crashed, I suggest you check whether the specific function about “addFromSelectionAsync” made your application crash, or the entire app for office application crashed with other functions.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 8:28 AM
  • Hello picke122,

I have the same problem when calling:

Office.context.document.getFileAsync("compressed", { sliceSize: 102400 }, function (result) {

on the iPad. See this thread.

Windows devices can handle the maximum sliceSize of 4194304 bytes (4MB) but the iPad can only handle a sliceSize of 102400 bytes (10KB). 

When the iPad runs out of memory it apparently shuts down programs to keep working. In my case the add-in crashes first and then the entire office application crashes.

BtandbZ

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 5:11 PM
  • Thanks for the responses. The call I mentioned above is crashing the word application on the iPad, not the app pane. I've only seen the app crash with addFromSelectionAsync. I am trying this call on a very small document with just one word. I am currently working with Microsoft on the issue and I will update once we can figure out what is wrong.
    Friday, July 17, 2015 3:39 PM
  • Got an update from Microsoft. This issue is fixed in the next version of Word on the iPad that will be released soon.
    • Marked as answer by picke122 Friday, July 17, 2015 4:19 PM
    Friday, July 17, 2015 4:19 PM