none
Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition Very Slow

Question

• I have an Intel Core-7 processor (3.40 Ghz) with 10 GB of RAM

All other versions of Visual Studio I have installed are responsive.

But 2015 is horribly slow.  After startup the home page freezes for 30 seconds, and every UI operation lags after that.  

I do not have ReSharper or Node Tools for Visual Studio.  Some links and forums point to those as possible culprits.  Below is the list of "installed products" in the Help -> About box in CS 2015.  All of it is pretty standard.

Is there a way to diagnose what is making VS 2015 so sluggish?

-----------

Installed product list:

Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015
    Version 14.0.24720.00 Update 1
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.6.01055

Installed Version: Community

Visual Basic 2015   00322-20000-00000-AA673
    Microsoft Visual Basic 2015

Visual C# 2015   00322-20000-00000-AA673
    Microsoft Visual C# 2015

Visual C++ 2015   00322-20000-00000-AA673
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2015

Application Insights Tools for Visual Studio Package   1.0
    Application Insights Tools for Visual Studio

ASP.NET and Web Tools 2015.1 (Beta8)   14.1.11106.0
    ASP.NET and Web Tools 2015.1 (Beta8)

ASP.NET Web Frameworks and Tools 2012.2   4.1.41102.0
    For additional information, visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=309563

ASP.NET Web Frameworks and Tools 2013   5.2.30624.0
    For additional information, visit http://www.asp.net/

Common Azure Tools   1.5
    Provides common services for use by Azure Mobile Services and Microsoft Azure Tools.

Microsoft Azure Mobile Services Tools   1.4
    Microsoft Azure Mobile Services Tools

NuGet Package Manager   3.3.0
    NuGet Package Manager in Visual Studio. For more information about NuGet, visit http://docs.nuget.org/.

PreEmptive Analytics Visualizer   1.2
    Microsoft Visual Studio extension to visualize aggregated summaries from the PreEmptive Analytics product.

SQL Server Data Tools   14.0.50616.0
    Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools

TypeScript   1.7.4.0
    TypeScript for Microsoft Visual Studio

Monday, February 8, 2016 10:19 PM

Answers

• I figured out the issue.  I had to sign out of my Visual Studio Online account from from the "Account Settings" dialog.  Once I did that, everything is snappy.  Is Visual Studio constantly saving info to my VS Online settings storage?  Literally everything I did was slow until I signed out.

***Update***

This may only happen when you are signed in but there is a sign-in error (yellow exclamation point icon near your user name in the upper-right).  I signed in again and it seems to still be responsive.  I will keep an eye on it and report back if I see anything.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 3:40 PM

All replies

• Hi mike-marshall,

Maybe this can be helpful for you, this is some of "old" tips and tricks for making Visual Studio run faster:

In Visual Studio, go to "Tools", and then "Options". In the Options -> Environment -> General go and clear the "Automatically adjust visual experience based on client performance" check box.

Clear also "Use hardware graphics acceleration if available" check box for preventing usage of hardware graphics acceleration, than clear the "Enable rich client visual experience

Second tip is for turning off source control if you are not using it... Tools -> Options -> Source Control -> Current source control plug-in: -> None

As I mentioned at the beginning these are old tricks, maybe they can be helpful for you.

Best regards!
    (If this was helpful for you, vote for it and propose it as an answer)

Monday, February 8, 2016 11:32 PM
  • I figured out the issue.  I had to sign out of my Visual Studio Online account from from the "Account Settings" dialog.  Once I did that, everything is snappy.  Is Visual Studio constantly saving info to my VS Online settings storage?  Literally everything I did was slow until I signed out.

***Update***

This may only happen when you are signed in but there is a sign-in error (yellow exclamation point icon near your user name in the upper-right).  I signed in again and it seems to still be responsive.  I will keep an eye on it and report back if I see anything.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 3:40 PM
  • Hi mike,

>>This may only happen when you are signed in but there is a sign-in error (yellow exclamation point icon near your user name in the upper-right).  I signed in again and it seems to still be responsive.  I will keep an eye on it and report back if I see anything.

I look forward to hearing from you, if you get any information about this issue, please feel free to let me know.

In addition, not very sure that whether you connect the VSO/TFS in the team explorer windows, please clean up it in the Team Explorer windows, and then sign out this account from the Account Settings, check it again. I remember that it would impact the performance if we use certain version control tool like the TFS or others in the team explorer windows.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 1:12 AM