none
Windows 7 Embedded - Routing and NAT capabilities RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I am about to install a Windows Embedded solution in a hardware that has an embedded switch.

This hardware will essentially have two different networks, LAN (embedded switch) and WAN (independent ethernet port). (Please note, in this case WAN is not the internet, it is another separated network with different subnet, where the only link is this Windows machine)

I need to know if it is possible to activate the routing functions in Windows Embedded 7 much the same way you can do it in Windows 7 Ultimate:
    Reference -> wikihow com/Enable-IP-Routing

The main purpose is to be able to activate NAT function where I can port forward any requests from the WAN network to specific IP and ports in the LAN network.

I attached a diagram explaining what I need, which I hope is clear, I'm not very good at drawing these kind of diagrams...

Hope someone can help me in this.

Monday, March 23, 2015 3:09 PM

Answers

• I got a system with two LAN cards, and I got WES7 running on it. Yes, WES7 supports ICS.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 12:16 AM

All replies

• This forum is for Windows Embedded POSReady. Are you using POSReady, Windows Embedded Standard 7, or Windows 7 for Embedded Systems?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Monday, March 23, 2015 4:10 PM
  • Hello Sean,

I am not using POSReady, but this was the only forum for Windows Embedded... I was not sure if I should post this as a general Windows question or in a Forum specific for Embedded.
    Should I move this question to another Forum?

I want to use Windows Embedded installed in a CF card, at least that is the plan.

I still don't know which version of Windows embedded I should go for, and that is one of the questions I have.

With which Windows Versions could I do this?

Monday, March 23, 2015 5:12 PM
  • Sounds like you want to make a small image running on a CF card. You want to use Windows Embedded Standard 7 - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/windows-embedded-standard-7.aspx . This is based on Windows 7 Ultimate, but without the games.

Here is an article that might help better understand WES7: http://www.annabooks.com/Articles/Articles_WES7/Intro_WES7%20V1.7.pdf

Monday, March 23, 2015 9:35 PM
  • Dear Sean,

Thank you for the reply.

I believe that if Windows Embedded Standard 7 is indeed based on Windows 7 Ultimate, then it should have the ICS (routing) and "Services" (port forward) functions as explained in this article I just found:

http://www.utilizewindows.com/7/networking/437-internet-connection-sharing-ics-configuration-in-windows-7

Am I correct?

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 4:57 PM
  • It should be there, but it is on my list to look into since I wrote a paper for the XP that did something similar - http://www.annabooks.com/Articles/Articles_XPE/XPe_Wireless_Hot_Spot.pdf

You can download the WES7 trial and test it out.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 8:48 PM
  • I got a system with two LAN cards, and I got WES7 running on it. Yes, WES7 supports ICS.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 12:16 AM
  • Hello Sean,

Thank you very much for the support and confirming this issue.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 9:53 AM
  • Hi

I know this is an old thread. We have the exact same problem here, where the "routing and remote access" service stop few right after starting with an service specific error 50. This problem is present on multiple (all) machines

With windows 7 pro, we do not have this problem.

Is there a solution? It should be supported.

This is preventing us to use the routing functionnality required for our setup.

Thanks

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 3:25 PM
  • The thread was about setup. you are getting an error

Are you doing this for WES7? 

Can you provide a little more information on what this error is?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 4:35 PM