How to rename a SQL Azure database? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to rename a SQL Azure database?
    Is there a 'best practices' way of doing this?
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 7:38 PM

Answers

• This is actually a feature that the team is working on at the moment.  If you have suggestions for other alter related features then we would love to hear about them either here or to the stie that Yi-Lun mentioned above.
    JeffC
    • Marked as answer by Yi-Lun Luo Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:15 AM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 1:42 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately not at this time. You can submit a feature request on http://www.mygreatwindowsazureidea.com/pages/34685-sql-azure-feature-voting.
    Lante, shanaolanxing This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 2:36 AM
  • So,
    generally it shall go the old fashioned way:
    Create new database; Copy objects from one database to another; drop old database.
    The catch is that ... I think the process of copying must flaw through OUT and IN traffic. I am not sure if we can (actually I think we CAN'T) copy objects from one DB to Another with T-SQL right from Query Windows and not causing transfer of all data between our computer and SQL Azure.
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 10:29 AM
  • This is actually a feature that the team is working on at the moment.  If you have suggestions for other alter related features then we would love to hear about them either here or to the stie that Yi-Lun mentioned above.
    JeffC
    • Marked as answer by Yi-Lun Luo Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:15 AM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 1:42 AM

• Where to find the info about the new version? It seems that the info is out of date.
    Monday, February 14, 2011 12:19 AM
  • We can rename database in SQL Azure.

more info: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/ff394109.aspx

Paras Doshi (Blog: ParasDoshi.com | Twitter: @Paras_Doshi )
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:45 AM