none
How to troubleshoot possible DOA unit? RRS feed

• Question

• Brand new Kinect v2 arrived yesterday via UPS.

NO apparent visible damage in shipping to packaging box or unit in box.

Power light does light on power supply, and all cables properly connected, but NO power light on Kinect Sensor v2 unit as shown at MVA training sessions July 15 on Kinect v2.

What other checks on checklist to troubleshoot?  What are necessary conditions for power light on Kinect v2 Sensor to light up?

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 3:53 PM

Answers

• Ok, I finally figured out the problem!

White indicator lights on the Kinect Sensor itself do not turn on and light up (one near camera on left and one on right of Kinect sensor) apparently unless a Kinect application is running on the Windows machine even if the white indicator light does turn on at the Kinect USB hub.

Also I could not get any of the Kinect SDK demo apps to run on my Windows machine -- whether the color sample mentioned above by cubedit or any other sample or Kinect Studio for monitoring the signals captured by Kinect Sensor v2 -- until AFTER I installed Media Feature Pack for Windows 8.1 from

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40744

and rebooted my machine (which by the way does have a graphics card with DirectX 11).  So go figure!!!

Hope this saves some time for anybody else who runs into this gotcha and worries that their brand new Kinect is DOA.

• Marked as answer by ctaswell Tuesday, July 22, 2014 10:19 PM
    Tuesday, July 22, 2014 10:18 PM

All replies

• Should the fan on the Kinect v2 be spinning at all times?

Is that another indication that the unit I received is Dead On Arrival?

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 5:20 PM
  • Minor correction in my description:  

The power light is on at the indicator on the Kinect USB hub rather than at the power supply because the power supply apparently does not have an on light indicator.

However, still NO power light indicator or spinning fan on the Kinect sensor itself.

To improve simple testing, there should be an easy check power on light indicator for each of power supply, Kinect USB hub and Kinect Sensor v2.

Now how do I confirm that the unit is in fact DOA?

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 5:40 PM
  • I think there is no indicator for a working device unless you connect it to your pc. The power/usb hub light is White if it's okay, dont know about the other colors. Yellow is no USB? Dunno.
    If you connect your device to a pc and the device manager says it's okay, then you could try e.g. the color sample from the SDK. If the device is okay the white LEDs at your Kinect will shine and you will see a picture. But maybe you will see a warning that your USB controller is not capable of the data amount and if not, you may at least see the 3 red infrared emitters shining in the center of the device, what means also that your USB controller is a problem.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2014 6:37 PM
  • Ok, I finally figured out the problem!

White indicator lights on the Kinect Sensor itself do not turn on and light up (one near camera on left and one on right of Kinect sensor) apparently unless a Kinect application is running on the Windows machine even if the white indicator light does turn on at the Kinect USB hub.

Also I could not get any of the Kinect SDK demo apps to run on my Windows machine -- whether the color sample mentioned above by cubedit or any other sample or Kinect Studio for monitoring the signals captured by Kinect Sensor v2 -- until AFTER I installed Media Feature Pack for Windows 8.1 from

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40744

and rebooted my machine (which by the way does have a graphics card with DirectX 11).  So go figure!!!

Hope this saves some time for anybody else who runs into this gotcha and worries that their brand new Kinect is DOA.

• Marked as answer by ctaswell Tuesday, July 22, 2014 10:19 PM
    Tuesday, July 22, 2014 10:18 PM
  • If it's showing up in Device Manager, then it's probably ok.

I've just returned one that arrived DOA from the MS store. (didn't appear in Device Manager, only power supply lit up). Personally I returned both the PC adapter and sensor as DOA as I ordered them together and it could be either or both that are faulty.

If in doubt, just return it :)

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 10:26 AM