Debugger (*.vshost.exe) crashes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I got a problem. I'm writing an Application in C# using Visual C# Express Edition. And about a half a day ago the application crashes all the time in different places. But if i step through the code it doesn't throw any exception and works well. And if i start the application normally by the <Application>.exe file it works well too. I think it's because ... : As my machine was stucking a very long time i tried to start the task manager. As it was started i just killed the <Application>.vshost.exe process (maybe that was a mistake Wink) and after that the application didn't work anymore in the multithreading part ... I deleted everthing and let it build again but didn't help. And disabling the visualstudio hosting process isn't very useful because then I can't debug anything at all. Does anybody what i can do now?

Kind regards
    Wednesday, September 26, 2007 3:41 PM

Answers

• Hi C-Shark,

I can't understand why you killed the <Application>.vshost.exe process. As far as I know, when the hosting process is disabled, several debugging features are unavailable or experience decreased performance:

1) The time needed to begin debugging .NET Framework applications increases.
    2) Design-time expression evaluation is unavailable.
    3) Partial trust debugging is unavailable.
    Try to check out this MSDN document for details - http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms185330(VS.80).aspx

As I understand, there is no need to disable the Hosting Process.

Did you get any exception message when your application crashed?

Did you try to restart the <Application>.vshost.exe process?

Did you try to restart VS.NET and rebuild your application, then double click <Application>.exe to start it? Does it work for you?

You said "If i step through the code it doesn't throw any exception and works well. And if i start the application normally by the <Application>.exe file it works well too", when did your application crash?

Regards,

Citizens on the earth

Friday, September 28, 2007 4:06 AM
  • Yes I got some exceptions, but they didn't really help because it was everytime a different exception thrown from from a different place than before. it was really strange.

yes i did try to restart the vshost process and after that worked neither i closed VS and deleted the vshost file and let rebuild everything. but nothing help til today^^ ... I don't know why but today I just tested the application again in the debugger mode and there were no exceptions...
    but anyway thank you for helping me, I just could finish my application today and it works very well Smile
    I hope I never get an error like this anymore^^ ...

Thanks and kind regards
    C-Shark
    Friday, September 28, 2007 2:23 PM

All replies

• Hi C-Shark,

I can't understand why you killed the <Application>.vshost.exe process. As far as I know, when the hosting process is disabled, several debugging features are unavailable or experience decreased performance:

1) The time needed to begin debugging .NET Framework applications increases.
    2) Design-time expression evaluation is unavailable.
    3) Partial trust debugging is unavailable.
    Try to check out this MSDN document for details - http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms185330(VS.80).aspx

As I understand, there is no need to disable the Hosting Process.

Did you get any exception message when your application crashed?

Did you try to restart the <Application>.vshost.exe process?

Did you try to restart VS.NET and rebuild your application, then double click <Application>.exe to start it? Does it work for you?

You said "If i step through the code it doesn't throw any exception and works well. And if i start the application normally by the <Application>.exe file it works well too", when did your application crash?

Regards,

Citizens on the earth

Friday, September 28, 2007 4:06 AM
  • Yes I got some exceptions, but they didn't really help because it was everytime a different exception thrown from from a different place than before. it was really strange.

yes i did try to restart the vshost process and after that worked neither i closed VS and deleted the vshost file and let rebuild everything. but nothing help til today^^ ... I don't know why but today I just tested the application again in the debugger mode and there were no exceptions...
    but anyway thank you for helping me, I just could finish my application today and it works very well Smile
    I hope I never get an error like this anymore^^ ...

Thanks and kind regards
    C-Shark
    Friday, September 28, 2007 2:23 PM