none
Driver Signing and Windows Logo Test error RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i am is using custom Virtual Com Port Drivers for our Silabs CP210x USB to UART Bridge VCP Devices.
    After creating the custom driver, i used the Thawte Certificate and signtools.exe of WinDDK 7600.16385.1 for signing the Driver files.
    I checked that certificate in the Windows Certification Viewer, and its activ till 2015.
    Then i used the INF2CAT Tool of the same WinDDK to create CAT-Files and signed them. I was using the following paramters:

C:\WinDDK\7600.16385.1\bin\x86\SignTool.exe  sign /v /ac %CERTDIR%\Thawte_Primary_Root_CA_Cross.cer /s MY /n "MyCompany" /t http://timestamp.verisign.com/scripts/timstamp.dll %%F

C:\WinDDK\7600.16385.1\bin\selfsign\Inf2Cat.exe  /driver:%OUTDIR% /os:2000,XP_X86,XP_X64,Server2003_X86,Server2003_X64,Vista_X86,Vista_X64,Server2008_X86,Server2008_X64,7_X86,7_X64,Server2008R2_x64 /verbose

C:\WinDDK\7600.16385.1\bin\x86\SignTool.exe sign /v /ac %CERTDIR%\Thawte_Primary_Root_CA_Cross.cer /s MY /n "MyCompany" /t http://timestamp.verisign.com/scripts/timstamp.dll %%C

I had no error signing them files. Also thawte checked them files and they were signed correct. Now i installed the files on my Windows 7 64bit maschine, and everything went corrent. The certificate was accepted and the drivers were installed.
    But the same driver on my Windows XP 32bit maschine does pop out the error message : "Not passing the Windows Logo Test". I can install the driver by ignoring this message, but the certificate is not accepted.
    Please help me .

Greetings 
    Monday, April 14, 2014 2:55 PM

All replies

• No idea ? =(
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 8:53 AM
  • This comes to mind...

Since you said everything is good except for on XP it might be a lack of a intermediate to chain to that Old XP system or what may be the true issue is that it might be you are using a SHA2 code signing certificate you are using. Windows XP does not understand SHA2 Algorithm.

You can find out what Signature Algorithm the certificate has by looking under the details of the certificate on the Signature Algorithm Field. If its SHA2 there is no fix other than replacing the certificate with SHA1, but Microsoft is Deprecating SHA1 Algorithm very VERY soon.

If its an Intermediate Issue.. if you click on the Certification Path when viewing the certificate and see a yellow exclamation mark on one of the certificates in its chaining path. This can be fixed by manipulating the chains and supplying another intermediate typically. Might need to contact Thawte regarding it.

Cheers! ^.^

Friday, April 18, 2014 5:24 PM
  • Hello,

algorithm is SHA1. Thawte told me i have to use the hardware dashboard for logo certification....

But why should i use dashboard? And why is it working with Windows 7 and not XP?

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:33 AM
  • Can someone help me please?
    Wednesday, April 30, 2014 8:14 AM