Suggestions to Change from VS 2005 to VS 2013 and IIS 6 to IIS8 RRS feed

• Question

• User1518270529 posted

Hi,

Currently my web application build with VS 2005(.net 2) is running on Windows Server 2003 (IIS 6) and my database is on MS SQL 2005 Smile

My company is planning to move in to Windows Server 2012 (IIS 8) and now I need to change my web application to run with IIS 8.Frown

I need suggestions for this big change, because i feel like its very risky. Undecided

I'm planning to convert my solution to .net 4.5 using VS 2013 and change my database to MS SQL 2012.

Please guide me wt should I do.

Thanks,

Chama Cool

Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:05 AM

Answers

• User281315223 posted

.NET is fairly backwards compatible when it comes to applications and it should be noted that just because you are upgrading your server doesn't mean that it can't still target .NET 2.0 if you want it to.

This really depends on your actual application and how complex it is, but the conversion tools within Visual Studio usually work quite well for smaller projects so that migration shouldn't be too painful (same with the migration to SQL 2012).

It's important to keep in mind that you don't necessary HAVE to upgrade all of your projects as they should still work and be able to work just as they should on a newer version of IIS.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:29 AM
  • User-234406897 posted

It's important to keep in mind that you don't necessary HAVE to upgrade all of your projects as they should still work and be able to work just as they should on a newer version of IIS.

Spoken like a true developer. ;-)

Now speaking as a IIS admin as I am,

There are a fair few fundemental differences in IIS6 to IIS8.

The app is not really the problem area here as you can upgrade the .net version with ease and WIndows 203 can run .net 4 CLR.

For the IIS side you will need to look at the increased security in IIS, the conversion of metabase from IIS6 to IIS7+. It all depends on what you have configured.

I woudl recommend using webDeploy to migrate you server across as many things will be done for you.

http://www.iis.net/downloads/microsoft/web-deploy

Obviously upgrading your SQL could have complications too.

Maybe a staggered approach is best raher than all in one go. e.g. Do SQL Server first and leave the front end as is or do the web front end first and leave SQL as is.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 2:54 PM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi Chama

Please have a look at this tutorial to complete Web Deployment Tool installation,

# Web Deployment Tool Installation http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd569059(v=ws.10).aspx 

hope it helps,

Regards

Sunday, November 3, 2013 10:05 PM

All replies

• User281315223 posted

.NET is fairly backwards compatible when it comes to applications and it should be noted that just because you are upgrading your server doesn't mean that it can't still target .NET 2.0 if you want it to.

This really depends on your actual application and how complex it is, but the conversion tools within Visual Studio usually work quite well for smaller projects so that migration shouldn't be too painful (same with the migration to SQL 2012).

Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:29 AM
  • User-234406897 posted

Spoken like a true developer. ;-)

Now speaking as a IIS admin as I am,

There are a fair few fundemental differences in IIS6 to IIS8.

The app is not really the problem area here as you can upgrade the .net version with ease and WIndows 203 can run .net 4 CLR.

For the IIS side you will need to look at the increased security in IIS, the conversion of metabase from IIS6 to IIS7+. It all depends on what you have configured.

I woudl recommend using webDeploy to migrate you server across as many things will be done for you.

http://www.iis.net/downloads/microsoft/web-deploy

Obviously upgrading your SQL could have complications too.

Maybe a staggered approach is best raher than all in one go. e.g. Do SQL Server first and leave the front end as is or do the web front end first and leave SQL as is.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 2:54 PM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi chamara.sa

Besides what our community members mentioned above, you can also use the Web Deployment Tool to migrate a Web site from IIS 6.0 to IIS 7 or above.

What kinds of migrations can I accomplish with the Web Deployment Tool?

• Migrate 1 or 1,000 Web sites from IIS 6.0 to IIS 7 or above including all the configuration settings, content and certificates.
    • Migrate a single application.
    • Migrate an entire server (all Web sites, application pools, etc.) from IIS 6.0 to IIS 7 or above.
    • Migrate a custom manifest comprised of sites, application pools, assemblies, COM objects, registry keys, content and more from IIS 6.0 to IIS 7 or above.

For further information to migrate web sites, please refer the article in the link below:

http://www.iis.net/learn/publish/using-web-deploy/migrate-a-web-site-from-iis-60-to-iis-7-or-above 

Regards

Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:50 PM
  • User1518270529 posted

Hi,

Thanks all for your advices. First of all I installed Web Deploy tool on my 2003 server. now when I R-Click on one of my sites I can't see a menu item named Deploy.

any clue if you have what I'm wrong with?

Thanks,

Chama

Sunday, November 3, 2013 3:16 AM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi Chama

Please have a look at this tutorial to complete Web Deployment Tool installation,

# Web Deployment Tool Installation http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd569059(v=ws.10).aspx 

hope it helps,

Regards

Sunday, November 3, 2013 10:05 PM