MustInherit and Enumeration RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I'm trying to build something like this:

Code Block
    Customer.Find(new CustomerArgument(Field.FirstName,Operation.Like,"Name"))

I'd like CustomerArgument and it's siblings to inherit from a BusinessObjectArgument class. It contains the logic for handling the operations and the last arguments like strings and integers etc ...

This should then define the list of the fields so that they are exposed just like the first argument (Field.FirstName). However when I started coding this I noticed you can't declare an enumeration as mustoverride? How could you solve this? Or achieve a similar result?

I was thinking about implementing an interface in the child classes so that they have to expose an enumeration but offcourse Interfaces can't do that Tongue Tied

Code Block

Public MustInherit Class BusinessObjectArgument

Private _field As Fields = Nothing

MustOverride Enum Fields ' <- doesn't work

End Class

Greets

edit: I'm looking into Reflaction now. Is it possible to expand an existing Enumeration with the properties of a certain Class? I think I'm able to read all the properties but how would I add them to the enumeration ... hmz.

edit2: I'm looking into System.Reflection.Emit.EnumBuilder now.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.reflection.emit.enumbuilder.aspx

Am I getting close?

Code Block

Public Class BusinessObjectArgument(Of T As BusinessObject)

Public Fields As [Enum]

Public Sub New()

Dim currentDomain As AppDomain = AppDomain.CurrentDomain

Dim aName As AssemblyName = New AssemblyName("FieldsAssembly")

Dim ab As AssemblyBuilder = currentDomain.DefineDynamicAssembly(aName, AssemblyBuilderAccess.RunAndSave)

Dim mb As ModuleBuilder = ab.DefineDynamicModule(aName.Name, aName.Name & ".dll")

' this doesn't work ...

Dim eb As EnumBuilder = mb.DefineEnum("Fields", TypeAttributes.Public, GetType(Integer))

' getting the properties

Dim props() As PropertyInfo = GetType(T).GetProperties(BindingFlags.Public)

'placing each property in the new enumeration

Dim i As Integer = 0

For Each p As PropertyInfo In props

If p.MemberType = MemberTypes.Property Then

eb.DefineLiteral(p.Name, i)

i += 1

End If

Next

Dim finished As Type = eb.CreateType()

Fields = ' whatever I need to do to overwrite Fields with what I just made

End Sub

End Class

edit3: To make it clear ... the enumeration should be listing it's literals when I do New CustomerArgument(Fields. ....)

Fields should be the generated Enumeration. I'm starting to think though that this is very much impossible at runtime.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 2:10 PM