none
How to get the total number of received files in an orchestration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like inquire how to count the number of received files in a BizTalk application.

I noticed that each received file creates orchestration instance. Let say 10 files received,

10 orchestration instances were created. I would like to do some kind of variable within an application that increments every orchestration instance.

Please advise.

Thanks. 

Friday, March 10, 2017 1:47 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This kind of variable handling is not possible. You can use BAM within your solution to track the files being processed. This will then be available in the portal and you can query/view the results across different times/time slices, aggregated over weeks/months/quarter, etc.

To help you with BAM I'd refer you to Business Activity Monitoring in Depth for Developers athttps://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd320628%28v=bts.10%29.aspx

If you think BAM will be  too much effort to put in.

I recommend, you to download this sql script. BizTalk: Message count per Application

How it works: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/amantaras/archive/2014/10/09/number-of-messages-per-application-dtadb-data.aspx

This is will capture the count of messages received, send and failed for a particular application.

Listed operations:
    Receiving
    Sending
    Error (if the send or receive operation fail)

Another script provided by Tord to get the Statistics from in and out events in BizTalk

This Script will provide you with information of transactions in your BizTalk Environment.

The scripts checks the InOutEvents table in the BizTalkDTADb database. It will group by date (DD) and Hour(HH)

Alternatively, You can also make use of existing BizTalk performance counters to monitor the messages.

PerformanceCounter msgsReceivedCounter = new 
        PerformanceCounter("BizTalk:Messaging", "Documents received", "ReceiveHost", "BizTalkServer");
    msgsReceivedCounter.ReadOnly = true;
    PerformanceCounter msgsSentCounter = new 
        PerformanceCounter("BizTalk:Messaging", "Documents processed", "SendHost", "BizTalkServer");
    msgsSentCounter.ReadOnly = true;

lblSent.Text = string.Format("{0}",  msgsSentCounter.NextValue());
    lblReceived.Text = string.Format("{0}",  msgsReceivedCounter.NextValue());

But this has its own limitations. Refer: Get Biztalk's message count through C# .NET

Rachit Sikroria (Microsoft Azure MVP)

Friday, March 10, 2017 3:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This kind of variable handling is not possible. You can use BAM within your solution to track the files being processed. This will then be available in the portal and you can query/view the results across different times/time slices, aggregated over weeks/months/quarter, etc.

To help you with BAM I'd refer you to Business Activity Monitoring in Depth for Developers athttps://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd320628%28v=bts.10%29.aspx

If you think BAM will be  too much effort to put in.

I recommend, you to download this sql script. BizTalk: Message count per Application

How it works: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/amantaras/archive/2014/10/09/number-of-messages-per-application-dtadb-data.aspx

This is will capture the count of messages received, send and failed for a particular application.

Listed operations:
    Receiving
    Sending
    Error (if the send or receive operation fail)

Another script provided by Tord to get the Statistics from in and out events in BizTalk

This Script will provide you with information of transactions in your BizTalk Environment.

The scripts checks the InOutEvents table in the BizTalkDTADb database. It will group by date (DD) and Hour(HH)

Alternatively, You can also make use of existing BizTalk performance counters to monitor the messages.

PerformanceCounter msgsReceivedCounter = new 
        PerformanceCounter("BizTalk:Messaging", "Documents received", "ReceiveHost", "BizTalkServer");
    msgsReceivedCounter.ReadOnly = true;
    PerformanceCounter msgsSentCounter = new 
        PerformanceCounter("BizTalk:Messaging", "Documents processed", "SendHost", "BizTalkServer");
    msgsSentCounter.ReadOnly = true;

lblSent.Text = string.Format("{0}",  msgsSentCounter.NextValue());
    lblReceived.Text = string.Format("{0}",  msgsReceivedCounter.NextValue());

But this has its own limitations. Refer: Get Biztalk's message count through C# .NET

Rachit Sikroria (Microsoft Azure MVP)

Friday, March 10, 2017 3:34 AM
  • Hi,

instead of using BAM (high maintenance), you can use the free version of our platform AIMS (www.aimsinnovation.com/aims-free) to trace all transactions (in & out) of any orchestration or port. The platform is not depending on BAM or tracking, works in any BizTalk environment.

You access all the data through a web interface, and you can chart the past 24 hour for any port or orchestration (count, latency, volume)

Thanks,

Marius

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 7:55 AM