Alternative to Job Scheduler RRS feed

• Question

• User931778073 posted

Hi all,

I would like to automatically update my database tables once every two days but I don't know how to go about it as Access database does not have a feature like SQL Server Job Scheduler. I'm guessing I can use DateTime Structure to get the current date then save this date to be used as a reference for when the update should take place. However, something has to keep checking the current date to determine what day it is. What would I use to trigger this checking function? Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 1:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• User632635755 posted

You can use the Task Scheduler in Windows to run a batch/script that will open the db and run a macro or even perform the tasks itself (if a script or exe).

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 1:30 PM
  • User1026424481 posted

I'd recommend you to use Windows Task Scheduler in this case.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 1:31 PM
  • User931778073 posted

Hi all, thanks for responding. I wasn't clear when I said I wanted to update my Access database tables every two days. What I meant to say was I wanted to update only those tables that had been edited 2 days earlier. The situation is this, registrants contact info will be deleted from the database within 24 hours unless they verify their contact info and finish the registration process. Can I still use Windows Task Scheduler for this task?

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 2:32 PM
  • User-1407477457 posted

Hi all, thanks for responding. I wasn't clear when I said I wanted to update my Access database tables every two days. What I meant to say was I wanted to update only those tables that had been edited 2 days earlier. The situation is this, registrants contact info will be deleted from the database within 24 hours unless they verify their contact info and finish the registration process. Can I still use Windows Task Scheduler for this task?

Windows Task Scheduler run the task.  All those other things you mentioned to into the task.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 2:44 PM
  • User632635755 posted

Yes, if you have a macro that checks the dates in question, then updates the tables, then with Windows Task Scheduler, you can then create a script that will open the database and run the macro...this could be set up to run every minute, hour, day, etc....

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 2:46 PM
  • User931778073 posted

Hi Mythran, thanks for responding. When you say "create a script",  do you mean create a batch file or are there other types of files I can create. To be honest my batch programming skill is entry level at best and I don't know where I can learn this stuff. Please point me to a good site where I can learn this stuff, thanks.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 5:33 PM
  • User3866881 posted

Hi,

I suggest you trying to create a WinForm Service, and let it automatically run at the background to execute the task.

For this Service sample, you can refer to this:

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/CSWindowsService-9f2f568e

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 9:41 PM
  • User931778073 posted

Hi Decker, and thank you everyone for responding I will try all of your suggestions.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 10:53 PM