BTS2013 R2 : move databases to a new sql server RRS feed

• Question

• systems want to move and rename the sql-server/instance of our biztalk-databases.  applicationservers , entsso-server names remain the same  

names of the databases also remain the same ;-)   so it's the only sql-server/instance that changes name

we have 2 applicationservers, entsso master secret server is located on a separate server (because we did not have a cluster available, not ideal but can't help it) and of course our sql-server.

i know we have to backup/restore our databases, use the restore scripts with the samplexml on the applicationserver to update db and registry... i guess this won't be a problem

but I'm wondering what has to happen on the sso-server?  can someone point me to a helpfull article for that?

Kind regards Isabelledc

• Edited by isabelledc Thursday, December 22, 2016 9:26 AM
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 9:24 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Isabelledc,

You cannot clone a configured BizTalk computer.  It is not a supported operation. You can SysPrep an unconfigured Windows/BizTalk image. SYSPREP (http://plexuk.co.uk/?page_id=793) is a utility that prepares a system for the purpose of cloning/etc. So when you run SYSPREP, the utility overwrites certain systems settings such as System Name/IP/SID, etc. That is the only supported way to 'clone' Windows and the only way BizTalk will work as well. 

If you still wish to continue with unsupported cloning, it is worth noting that you will face issue with MSDTC post cloning, MSDTC on the clone will retain a reference to the original machine. In order to remove the reference you'll need to uninstall and reinstall MSDTC, while removing some registry keys in the process. Running 'msdtc -uninstall' and then 'msdtc -install' from the command prompt will fix the problem. Note: Running 'msdtc -uninstall' will result in the system losing all MS DTC configuration information.

I found this post self explanatory: Cloning a BizTalk Development Server

Moreover, do not forget to do "dcomcnfg" before reconfigure in New server.

Regards

Kathiravan

Thursday, December 22, 2016 10:14 AM
  • HI Isabelladc,

Still the advice remains the same, it is not an easy task to acheieve, even changing the name of the instance of the sql server is not a small thing, avoid as much as possible.

You can see following links

Renaming your BizTalk machine

BizTalk and SQL Server Alias

What I suggest is that if you still wish to pursue this path, it would be advisable to have Microsoft Support during this operation

Regards,

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Thursday, December 22, 2016 11:25 AM
  • Hi 

So as I gather, only the SQL Server/instance is changing?

In that case, you can follow the steps which is documented at -

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-in/library/ee378546.aspx

https://biztalktestblog.wordpress.com/2015/04/29/how-to-move-biztalk-databases-to-another-sql-server/

For the SSO server, you have to run the UpdateRegistry script as-

cscript UpdateRegistry.vbs SampleUpdateInfo.xml

(Before shutting down the current SQL instance, take a backup of the SSO Secret Key. It may prove helpful if you run into SSO issues after switching to the new SQL Instance)

I am assuming that you would have already executed the other script from one of the BizTalk app servers-

cscript UpdateDatabase.vbs SampleUpdateInfo.xml

Thanks Arindam

Thursday, December 22, 2016 12:15 PM
  • The question is actually the same thing.  Will merge the threads.
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 2:59 PM
  • but I'm wondering what has to happen on the sso-server?  can someone point me to a helpfull article for that?--> sso should not be a problem. If master secret is not on the SQL instance. 

In my opinion if you have option of re-configuration then go for it. else thore scripts will work fine. 

Also one more thing If i am at your place I will replicate the same configuration and follow the steps (like a proof of concept) before actually doing it.  

hope this helps. 

Cheers,HTH

Naushad Alam http://alamnaushad.wordpress.com/

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful , Propose As Answer , and/or Mark As Answer

Monday, January 2, 2017 1:42 PM