Why is pointer typed as touch rather than pen?

Question

• Was this ever resolved. I'm having the same issue. Using the code found at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/xaml/hh974457.aspx as a base I've found that my PointerPressed event the value of e.Pointer.PointerDeviceType is incorrectly returning touch instead of Pen.
    Sunday, September 7, 2014 9:23 AM

Answers

• Hi Nayls,

I split your post out since its not related to the thread you posted on. Please post new questions in new threads so they don't get lost.

I suspect that your problem is that you have a capacitive stylus rather than a pen. To get true pen input the system needs to have a pen digitiser and use a special pen. This allows sensing pressure, tilt, etc. and would be listed as a feature of your tablet. A couple of devices with pen support include the Surface Pro and the Dell Venue 8 Pro.

You can also get a capacitive stylus fairly inexpensively and use it on any touch screen. These are sticks with a tip that acts like skin on the touch screen. Its the same as a glove with a touch screen patch an the finger tips. These styluses are essentially prosthetic fingertips, work with the touch system, and generate touch input.

Sunday, September 7, 2014 3:46 PM
    Owner