Best Hardware CPU for encoding VOB to MP4 RRS feed

• Question

• I have about 10,000 music video dvds that I am ripping to a VOB file then useing encoder 4 to MP4 and with my older quad it takes about 6 min at 4000 bit rate.

If i get a new 17 2600 system for about $1000 or spend $2500 on the 980 I7 system will it be faster?  I do not know if the software takes advantage of all cores?

Please help

I am using encoder 4 pro 

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 7:36 PM

Answers

• Independently of the details of your case (lots of variables missing above), you should get significantly faster performance out of an i7 (SB or older i7 technology) when compared to a 3-4 year old quad. The main reason will be that you'll be running on a faster clock, with potentially 2 to 3 times more logical cores, which we can fully take advantage of in most cases.

For the best bang for the buck, I would suggest the 3.4GHz i7-2600 which will be significantly cheaper to purchase and provide the latest technology available. Of course, the i7 970 or 980 would provide 12 logical cores, which will provide almost ~50% faster performance over the SB chip, but at double the price for the chip alone.

Depending on the decoder used, pre-proc and encode settings, we may or may not max out all the cores. If we don't, in your case, I would suggest running multiple instance of Encoder and divide and conquer your 10k source list.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 8:17 PM

All replies

• Independently of the details of your case (lots of variables missing above), you should get significantly faster performance out of an i7 (SB or older i7 technology) when compared to a 3-4 year old quad. The main reason will be that you'll be running on a faster clock, with potentially 2 to 3 times more logical cores, which we can fully take advantage of in most cases.

For the best bang for the buck, I would suggest the 3.4GHz i7-2600 which will be significantly cheaper to purchase and provide the latest technology available. Of course, the i7 970 or 980 would provide 12 logical cores, which will provide almost ~50% faster performance over the SB chip, but at double the price for the chip alone.

Depending on the decoder used, pre-proc and encode settings, we may or may not max out all the cores. If we don't, in your case, I would suggest running multiple instance of Encoder and divide and conquer your 10k source list.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 8:17 PM
  • Thanks I will give you a case

I have about 10,000 videos I use a program that goes to the web site of the videos and this not only loads the song and artists but also puts it in to a VOB file.

Then I use encoder pro 4 with the following

MP4

H.264 - MAIN

AAC-LC

CBR-1-PASS

SOURSE

BITRATE 4000

SOURSE

SOURSE

AUDIO

CBR-1 PASS

320 KBS

STERO

This seems to work good as my standard for ripping them.

I video dj with dvds and also with another system that wants to see MP4s so I have a big task on my hands I checked my CPU and its a intel core 2 quad q6600 2.4 with 4 gig ram.

I am looking at a Gateway one of the below systems

http://www.gateway.com/systems/category/529598148.php

I do not know if this program software can use the multi cores?

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 10:04 PM
  •  

- The i7-2600 would be my recommendation for the CPU power / price ratio.

- Yes, we will be able to max out an 8 or 12-core machine on that scenario from what I know. And as I said, even if we don't, you can run multiple Encoder instances to max out your PC pretty easily.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 10:15 PM
  • so u can even have the program running ore then one? like 2 or 3 encodeing at the same time thats cool
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 10:16 PM
  • wish this worked on a macbookpro

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 10:17 PM
  • It sure can... you just need to use BootCamp and install Windows on it. :)

I'm afraid iOS support is not high on our priority list at the moment.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 10:35 PM
  • One last ? would that be faster as i already have a i7 2 gig 2011 macbookpro
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 10:53 PM
  • That's a little harder to answer. :) I suspect your i7 2GHz Laptop will be faster than a Q6600, but probably not twice or faster though. The Sandy Bridge at 3.4GHz should be at the least 2.5 to 3 times faster than your Q6600 at full load.
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:13 PM
  • Thanks Eric great info and fast good job microsoft and staff A+
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:30 PM
  • You're welcome. :) Please let us know if you hit any issues or have feedback to share with us about Encoder.

Thursday, May 5, 2011 12:27 AM