Learning more about CSS? RRS feed

• Question

• User-529936140 posted

I have posted some previous threads in the last couple weeks about some books that I have been getting and going through, I think I have all of them but one. The final book I would like to get from Amazon.com is one that covers all (or at least most) aspects of CSS.

I know some people are going to say to go through some video tutorials and online tutorials but for now I would like to get some good books with some nice "try it out" type examples in the book that show what to do and explains then how what you did works.

Can anyone suggest a good book to cover this topic that will fit with asp.net c# and VWD 2010?

The only book I can find that looks close is listed below but is several years old and for a previous version of VWD and ASP.NET.

Thanks!!

Sam

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-ASP-NET-2-0-Design-Programmer/dp/0470124482/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I25J44GMCKI838&colid=349JD2EX2F6XC

Thursday, August 25, 2011 7:23 PM

Answers

• User465171450 posted

I had that book. It was pretty good, but ended up not helping me as much because it didn't fit my design requirmenets too many times. CSS is not something I like to learn from a video so I wouldn't recommend it. A good book, is Pro CSS and HTML Design Patterns. Like programming, CSS has matured and people have identified certain development patters we see time and again.

Biggest problem though, is no matter how good the book is it get's out of date faster simply because design ideas change, and CSS is very much a design driver. Something I've found most helpful is to use FireFox and the FireBug plug-in to look at exactly what is going on with a site, see the inheritance that's occuring, and get a feel for the neat things they are doing by organizing their CSS. Also, sites such as: http://960.gs/ is a great resource and a starting point for a lot of developers.

SitePoint also has some great books on CSS, and designing with CSS (my favorite is The Principles of Beautiful Web Design). I've found their ASP.Net books to be decent, but nothing that really excited me but their CSS and design books have great examples, and simple and elegant illustrations and reasons why certain things are done.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:24 PM

All replies

• User465171450 posted

I had that book. It was pretty good, but ended up not helping me as much because it didn't fit my design requirmenets too many times. CSS is not something I like to learn from a video so I wouldn't recommend it. A good book, is Pro CSS and HTML Design Patterns. Like programming, CSS has matured and people have identified certain development patters we see time and again.

Biggest problem though, is no matter how good the book is it get's out of date faster simply because design ideas change, and CSS is very much a design driver. Something I've found most helpful is to use FireFox and the FireBug plug-in to look at exactly what is going on with a site, see the inheritance that's occuring, and get a feel for the neat things they are doing by organizing their CSS. Also, sites such as: http://960.gs/ is a great resource and a starting point for a lot of developers.

SitePoint also has some great books on CSS, and designing with CSS (my favorite is The Principles of Beautiful Web Design). I've found their ASP.Net books to be decent, but nothing that really excited me but their CSS and design books have great examples, and simple and elegant illustrations and reasons why certain things are done.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:24 PM
  • User-529936140 posted

Thank you for that info, I am going to get both of the books you suggested (I hope) or at least the first one to start with. Also, once I am done with learning the basics of coding the pages and such I will look more into the site you linked. It has some beautfiful stuff on it but I am unsure on how any of that works.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:52 PM
  • User-434868552 posted

@ SamuelM

Like HTML, CSS is generic so you may not require a book that addresses many technologies.

http://headfirstlabs.com/books/hfhtml/  imho, "Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML" is worth considering.  You can download Chapter 8 from the link just given to help you determine whether this book will work for you.

g.

Saturday, August 27, 2011 2:23 AM
  • User1413598538 posted

HI

I agree that css ad html will need hand experience to get your self familier with and to start doing stuff in the right way

but still having a book will help to cover all the topics

I will recommand this book :

HTML Dog: The Best-Practice Guide to XHTML and CSS

the only thing is that ,It has a dog picture on the cover .

Friday, September 9, 2011 6:20 AM