none
All Versions of Visual Studio report all projects out of date since Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Question

• I just installed the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.  It seemed to go quite well.  But then when I re-opened my Visual Studio 2015 Solution it told me my projects were all out of date.  I have a similar solution for the same projects for VS 2013 as well so I tried that same error.  All projects out of date.  Rebuilding them does not force a compile.  It appears to just link.

So then I cleaned and rebuilt all projects and tried to run again.  Nope, still all out date, even though they built justf ine.

Then I deleted the entire source directory and pulled it fresh but no matter how many times I build, it still tells me that all projects were out of date.

I tried setting MSBuild verbosity to "Detailed" (and then to "Diagnostic") but could find no message hinting at why it felt the need to rebuild.

I even found a few links explaining how to try turning on Project Logging and Diagnostics (i.e. editing the deveenv.exe.config file and then examining the output in DebugView) but that didn't work either.

The built binaries all run just fine.  The source code has not changed since yesterday when none of this happened.  I don't know what I should do now.  I can try rolling back to before the Anniversary Update but I really wanted that bash-shell capability it has...

Any suggestions?  Do I need to get the latest Windows 10 SDK or something?

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 5:33 PM

Answers

• Hi WeiWei,

In the hours after I posted my question, (before I saw your answer), I came across a post that suggested the problem might be with an out-of-date Windows 10 SDK.  I didn't think this could possibly be the problem but I was desperate and there's usually no downside to running with the latest SDK so I figured, why not try it?

I found a blog where they linked to the very latest Windows 10 SDK.  

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2016/08/02/windows-10-anniversary-update-sdk-14393/#i5LJx8LeqRmE8igd.97

Merely installing this SDK made all the messages about out-of-date projects instantly go away.  I haven't seen one since.  Unneeded builds have been eliminated.

I don't understand why this worked.  This should not be possible.  The Windows 10 Anniversary Update is an operating-system update.  It should not be updating any files that could lead to the detection of an out-of-date C++ build.  It's not updating C++ headers, .LIB files, or anything like that, is it?

But I guess it must have done just that and set the date/time of such a file to somewhere in the future.  How else could merely installing the latest SDK fix things?  That's the best guess I can come up with.

Any ideas why this would fix things?

Joe

• Edited by Joe OLeary Thursday, September 15, 2016 3:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Joe OLeary Friday, September 16, 2016 12:38 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 3:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Joe OLeary,

According to your description, I create a UWP app on my Windows 10 machine which has not installed Anniversary Update and then copy this app to another Windows 10 which installed Anniversary Update. When I rebuild this app, I don't get out date issue. Everything working fine.

Please create a new project on your Windows 10 Anniversary Update machine and the rebuild it to check whether the new project also has this issue.

If the new project works fine, please delete the .suo file and rebuild again. And if the problem still exist, please move the original project files to the new project one by one and then rebuild it to check whether this issue could be fixed.

If the new project also has this issue, I suggest you check whether there has any issue on your Visual Studio environment. Please troubleshoot this issue with following steps.

1. Run Visual Studio in safe mode to check whether there has any third part extensions incompatible with Anniversary Update that result to this issue.
    2. Reset all settings for your Visual Studio.
    3. Repair your Visual Studio.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, September 15, 2016 8:29 AM
  • Hi WeiWei,

In the hours after I posted my question, (before I saw your answer), I came across a post that suggested the problem might be with an out-of-date Windows 10 SDK.  I didn't think this could possibly be the problem but I was desperate and there's usually no downside to running with the latest SDK so I figured, why not try it?

I found a blog where they linked to the very latest Windows 10 SDK.  

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2016/08/02/windows-10-anniversary-update-sdk-14393/#i5LJx8LeqRmE8igd.97

Merely installing this SDK made all the messages about out-of-date projects instantly go away.  I haven't seen one since.  Unneeded builds have been eliminated.

I don't understand why this worked.  This should not be possible.  The Windows 10 Anniversary Update is an operating-system update.  It should not be updating any files that could lead to the detection of an out-of-date C++ build.  It's not updating C++ headers, .LIB files, or anything like that, is it?

But I guess it must have done just that and set the date/time of such a file to somewhere in the future.  How else could merely installing the latest SDK fix things?  That's the best guess I can come up with.

Any ideas why this would fix things?

Joe

• Edited by Joe OLeary Thursday, September 15, 2016 3:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Joe OLeary Friday, September 16, 2016 12:38 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 3:47 PM
  • I tried the same thing, and it didn't do it for me. Installed VS 2015 v14.0.25431.01 Update 3, and installed the 10.0.14393.0 SDK, and when neither of those helped, I even manually changed the INCLUDE environment variables to point to the 14393 SDK instead of the older 10286 SDK.

Sigh.. I'm about to uninstall the anniversary update. I have no idea how it's affecting my development environment, but I've wasted 3 hours on this so far, and I need to get back to work tomorrow.

Thursday, September 15, 2016 4:20 PM
  • I uninstalled the anniversary update, and it solved the problem. VS2015 u3 now *instantly* states:

========== Build: 0 succeeded, 0 failed, 70 up-to-date, 1 skipped ==========

So, I can work again, and Windows Update is off again. It's normally off because invariably updates always break something that prevent me from working. But, I'm going to need to be able to update at some point... I may just need to set up a secondary SSD to try it on when there are reports that the problem has been fixed, as I cannot risk my workstation again.

Thursday, September 15, 2016 4:50 PM
  • Did you try WeiWei's suggested approach?  I would have but I didn't have to.

Joe

Thursday, September 15, 2016 5:46 PM
  • I repaired Visual Studio, and I also tried building with a clean source tree pulled from source control (so no temp files, not a .suo file in sight).

I didn't try resetting Visual Studio settings or running in Safe mode. I guess I could have tried those things too. But really, rather than trying things at random, what I need is the CPS logging feature enabled, so that the project system itself can tell me why it thinks projects are out of date.

There are a couple of other threads asking about that feature here (including one I created, in a somewhat frustrated tone I admit), and in other places, that all dead-end with someone asking "what about in VS2015", because the existing instructions do not work for VS2015.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/31adb0f7-1117-461f-b8fb-6795d2ef42bd/visual-studio-2015-update-3-c-rebuilds-every-single-project-every-time-after-windows-10?forum=vcgeneral#31adb0f7-1117-461f-b8fb-6795d2ef42bd

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/expression/en-US/3e90b1b6-2362-44c9-82c7-17b38a4566c4/vc-project-rebuilds-after-every-configuration-change-with-no-source-changes?forum=vcgeneral

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/17d9c26c-0053-4f6f-8bd2-7e20bedcff55/how-to-enable-c-project-system-tracing-in-vs2015-?forum=visualstudiogeneral

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vsproject/2009/07/20/enable-c-project-system-logging/

I have to wonder why a critical feature like this isn't represented in the gui, especially since the undocumented method to enable it is different for every.single.version of Visual Studio, with no hint on how to do it except for forum posts.

Best,

///Leif

Friday, September 16, 2016 1:03 AM
  • Hi Joe,

>> Any ideas why this would fix things?

After the Windows version Update, I think there has new features added and the Windows 10 SDK should also updated in order to better compatible the updated Windows. If you don't upgrade the Windows 10 SDK, there should be some incompatible issue causes the out-of-date issue.

I'm glad that you have resolve your issue. Please mark your workaround reply as answer which is benefit to other communities who has similar issue to close this thread.

@Leif,

The similar issue could be caused by different reasons. Joe's issue is caused by the latest Windows 10 SDK and he has resolved this issue. So it is the workaround for Joe's issue.

But your problem seems a little different with Joe, and you have post your issue on our forum. We will following this issue in your thread.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, September 16, 2016 6:54 AM
  • Leif,

I also saw those posts you mentioned.  In addition, I saw a post that said that setting MSBuild verbosity to either "Detailed" or "Diagnostic" under

Tools >> Options >> Projects and Solutions >> Build and Run

Helped *that* person figure out what was causing a rebuild.  Might not help but it's something to try and it's simple.  Just a thought

-Joe

Joe

Friday, September 16, 2016 12:40 PM
  • Joe -- that was among the first things I tried, actually. It doesn't do it. This build log is from the compiler -- not the project system.. It shows that it's being rebuilt, but not why it was rebuilt.

Weiwei, thank you. I'm looking forward to responses on that thread. It may be that my issue is different from Joe's -- or not. We don't know, but if the project system log was turned on, we'd know.

Unfortunately there aren't any responses in my thread, nor any of the other threads that ask this question.

Weiwei, Could you ask the Visual Studio team and find out for us? I'm not the only with the question. Is Andrew L. Arnott still on the VS team? He's the one who originally explained this feature (separately for VS2010 and VS2012) but answers to the follow-up question regarding VS2015 are notably absent. Perhaps he hasn't noticed the questions. There are two separate questions, 11 and 9 months ago, no responses. If you could e-mail him and ask for an answer, that would be most appreciated. Here's a link to his blog post: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/andrewarnottms/2012/06/07/enable-c-and-javascript-project-system-tracing/

Like Intellisense, Minimal Build isn't an optional feature -- it's what makes it possible to get work done. When each and every build takes 5 minutes (even without changing anything at all), the only "work" that can gets done is trying to get build time down where it should be. Normally, unless you change things in a global header file, build time is usually under 20 seconds.

Best regards,

///Leif

Saturday, September 17, 2016 2:21 AM
  • I am here because I have the same problem. Visual Studio 2015, Visual Studio 2012, and Visual Studio 2010 all exhibit the same behavior, which started today after the Anniversary update.

* Create a brand new project, either "Win32 Console Application" or "Win32 Project"; follow the wizard's default steps.

* Build the project - first time =

1>------ Build started: Project: Win32Project2, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
    1>  stdafx.cpp
    1>  Win32Project2.cpp
    1>  Win32Project2.vcxproj -> c:\....\Win32Project2.exe
    1>  Win32Project2.vcxproj -> c:\....\Win32Project2.pdb (Full PDB)
    ========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

* Immediately build the project again =

1>------ Build started: Project: Win32Project2, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
    1>  Skipping... (no relevant changes detected)
    1>  stdafx.cpp
    1>  Skipping... (no relevant changes detected)
    1>  Win32Project2.cpp
    1>  Win32Project2.vcxproj -> c:\....\Win32Project2.exe
    1>  Win32Project2.vcxproj -> c:\....\Win32Project2.pdb (Full PDB)
    ========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

The second build _should_ have reported all up to date instead of recompiling anything.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 5:27 PM
  • Hi Daniel Filner,

Do you have tried above troubleshooting steps and the workaround that Joe OLeary provided?

If all above steps doesn't resolve your issue, I suggest you create a new thread on our forum to describe your problem detailed. Since the same issue often caused by different reasons. And this thread has bee closed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, September 23, 2016 2:24 AM