none
Excel Web Add In - Launch FileOpenDialog and access Desktop application API RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have searched the web and came to a conclusion that I can not open up an external application's file (FileName.xyz) that is installed on my machine.

To open up a file, I need FileOpenDialog (or some other UI where user will be able to navigation to that file say FileName.xyz and select that to provide the file path). Once the file is selected, I like to use the external application API to interact with that file and get the information from that file/application into the Excel. It seems like this is not possible from Web Add In?

I really hope that that conclusion is incorrect and there IS a way to access a local file and use external API to work with from the Web Add In.

If Web Add In is not the right way, is there any other way that I can create an Add In to excel that could interact with desktop directly. (My knowledge to c or cpp is almost none.)

Thanks,
    Musa

Monday, June 17, 2019 2:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Musa,

In advance, I'm not sure if I can understand what you want.
    I suppose you mean "file association" or an application associated with a file extension. It depends on PCs, different PCs have different file association.
    If you want to know what application is associated with a specific file extension, you can find it in registry. 
       \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

Regards,

Ashidacchi -- https://ssl01.rocketnet.jp/hokusosha.com/default.html

Monday, June 17, 2019 11:01 PM