none
[UWP]Tile loops not infinitely

Question

• Hey guys

I red this article Special tile templates and Microsoft said that photo tile temple ".. has a zoom and cross-fade animation that cycles through selected photos and loops indefinitely". But I just got this example with photo, wrote this 

var notification = new TileNotification(content.GetXml());
                TileUpdateManager.CreateTileUpdaterForApplication().Update(notification);
    and that's all. No any limits for update. But sometimes after 1 day, sometimes after 2 days or more days, or less, my app tile just reset and I don't see my photos. It doesn't look like "loops indefinitely". You can ask me - for what you created this app? I just noticed that many apps in Windows 10 has problem with unstable update tile and I wanted to check is it problem with developers or with system. So, as I see, very simple code for tile update works unstable and please tell - is it my misunderstanding or Microsoft gave us unstable system ? 
    Saturday, April 08, 2017 8:42 PM

All replies

• Hello FoxPaulNet,

I need to clarify some details in order to troubleshoot this issue:

1. What's your system version?(You can type winver.exe to see details)

2. How you defined your template? Can you show us the xml code?

3. Can you check your OS to see whether your Windows 10 app "Store" shows tiles indefinitely? I want to see whether this is related to the system or related to code.

If it is related to code, we need to try reproduce it first, in this way we need to build a repro.

If it is related to the system. Then you may need to report it on some other place

4. Have you ever set some code like this:

tileNotification.ExpirationTime = DateTimeOffset.UtcNow.AddMinutes(10);

This could also affect the behavior of the tile.

By the way, it's better if you can provide a sample.

Best regards,

Barry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 10, 2017 9:54 AM
  • Hello Barry. Thank you for you reply

1) Version 1703,  15063.13

2) This is my full code. I'm calling this in MainPage constructor

this.InitializeComponent();

TileContent content = new TileContent() { Visual = new TileVisual() { TileMedium = new TileBinding() { Content = new TileBindingContentPhotos() { Images = { new TileBasicImage() { Source = "Assets/images-15.jpg" }, new TileBasicImage() { Source = "Assets/images-7.jpg" }, new TileBasicImage() { Source = "Assets/trolltunga.jpg", } } } } } }; var i = content.GetXml(); var notification = new TileNotification(i); TileUpdateManager.CreateTileUpdaterForApplication().Update(notification);

3) Shops app tile works. No problem with tile but this tile updates by internet request. I'm just interesting in this photo template

4) You can see full code in point 2

Monday, April 10, 2017 8:15 PM
  • @FoxPaulNet,

Thanks for the full code. It's simple but I think I need some days to see its behavior. I will update here if I have any result.

By the way, I'm also on the RS2 system.

Best regards,

Barry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 3:22 AM
  • @Barry Wang

Hi Barry. I can add some information about tiles - it looks like that tile reset every 24 hours for default and stop looping. But I added background task for every 15 min to change tile template. So here is my results:

Now I do not understand at allhow tile works. Background task updated every 15 min tile, but at next day after about 24 h ago I launched app - tile reset. It is difficult to explain but I will try what I mean. My default tile is just standard cross. When photo template start looping, I don't see this cross, only photos from template. But after ~24 h when I opening Start menu, I see this cross. With background task it's looking like - open start menu after 24h, see this default cross tile and background task after few second starting photo template loop again. So I see only one explanation that Windows reset apps which are not launched last 24h. But I don't see any documentation about this and buy msdn subscribe for few question I'm not able.

And I found next issue for me. With background task it works. But again not infinitely. After some 2 days background task stopped update my tile... I don't understand what's going on with UWP apps...

Sunday, April 16, 2017 7:35 PM
  • Hello FoxPaulNet,

Does your Corss means the default UWP icon? If so it seems I can reproduce just one time this morning.

When I opened the start page, the app only shows the default icon, then when I clicked the tile of that app the looping works again. As I can reproduce it one time I'm trying to consult how to troubleshoot this from my internal channel. Please wait for my update here.

Best regards,

Barry

MSDN Community Support

Monday, April 17, 2017 5:43 AM
  • Hi Barry

Yes, mean default icon

Monday, April 17, 2017 10:02 AM
  • @FoxPaulNet,

To troubleshoot this issue please try the following:

1. When you’ve repro’d the issue where the tile goes blank…
    2. Install SQLite Expert Personal (free software, or if you have another SQLite viewer you can use that)
    3. Open SQLite Expert Personal
    4. File -> Open Database
    5. In the File Explorer address bar at the top, type in %LOCALAPPDATA% and press enter
    6. Then open the following folders: Microsoft -> Windows -> Notifications
    7. Select and open the “wpndatabase.db” file
    8. In the left pane, click the NotificationHandler table
    9. Then in the main content pane, select the “Data” tab
    10. Locate your own app in the list by looking at the PrimaryId (this should match what’s specified in your app manifest)
    11. Once you’ve found it, remember the RecordId that’s assigned to it
    12. Now in the left pane, select the Notification table
    13. In the HandlerId column, filter it by typing in the RecordId you obtained previously for your app
    14. Do any tile notifications show up, or are the results empty?

This will tell us whether the notification platform currently has a tile notification for your app. If it doesn’t, then that means something caused the notification to disappear from the platform database. If it does appear in the SQL explorer, then that means something failed further down the line (like trying to display the notification).

Best regards,

Barry

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 5:15 AM
  • I have this.

What I found out by myself about photo template - photo template reset not after 1 or more days - tile reset after I switch off my pc. I don't understand it because I use my PC as Plex server and sometimes I don't reload Windows after few days. Background task do update for tile but without BT and after hard reboot tile will be reset to default icon. But I'm still not sure about this my results and will continue my testing 

• Edited by FoxPaulNet Tuesday, April 18, 2017 5:34 PM
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 5:33 PM
  • @FoxPaulNet,

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like your PC has a different setting than a normal PC. I'm not so sure what "reload " means but it seems it is the reason. Maybe your system will reset?

Best regards,

Barry

MSDN Community Support

Friday, April 21, 2017 2:32 PM
  • hm. ok, just can you do experiment? just remember all your tile position and after that click shutdown. Wait few min and start again and open start menu. For me after Windows restart, after first open of start menu each tile has his default icon. of course, they are very quick beginning change their tile view, but just for 1 sec you can see that after system reboot all tiles have default icons
    Friday, April 21, 2017 10:41 PM
  • ok, I think I finally found out what's going on and it's not good - this is Microsoft bug. 

I decided to reset my Windows to default. So after that, I created the same app, started it (without background task) and set tile around Photo app(it's default application for photos from Microsoft) and just watched - is it problem with my tile or just problem with a template. So, after few hours, my tile and photo application tile stopped looping. They didn't reset to default. No, they just stopped looping on random photo. Only reboot system starting cycle again.

Sunday, April 23, 2017 2:54 PM
  • @FoxPaulNet,

For this:

>>after first open of start menu each tile has his default icon. of course, they are very quick beginning change their tile view, but just for 1 sec you can see that after system reboot all tiles have default icons

This is the expected behavior for tiles. It is confirmed from my internal channel.

>>Only reboot system starting cycle again.

On my PC when reboot I cannot make it cycle again. I'm still trying to consult this issue and please wait for my update.

Best regards,

Barry

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 6:41 AM