Windows Metro - Dialog box with Windows Desktop in the background ?

Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to display a Windows Metro "MessageDialog" and I would want the windows desktop background/the tiles to appear in the background when toggled and also would prefer the MessageDialog remain in the foreground (on top). How can I achieve this ?

I tried using callisto libraries but the end result is - I see a MessageDialog appear but the background will be black. Is there any way I can set this to reflect the actual background itself ?

When I use winKey + D / winkey  to toggle between desktop and metro mode, the metro app message dialog just gets minimized. Is there any propety like WPF's TopMost that I can set to prevent the dialog from vanishing when toggling between modes ? Any help is really appreciated. Thanks !

Thanks,

Sandeep

Monday, August 18, 2014 12:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• No. This is not possible. There is no supported way for a Windows Store app to display a window on the desktop environment
    Monday, August 18, 2014 7:12 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob,

I gave up on creating a togglable metro app. However, I was reading through this link

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/cdbe457f-d653-4a18-9295-bb9b609bc4e3/desktop-apps-on-top-of-metro-extended?forum=wpf

which discusses creating a WPF app which stays on top in metro and desktop mode but I ran into an issue wherein the executable upon launch says "referral was returned from the server".

I tried editing the UIAccess values in secpol.msc but to no avail. Any idea what else do I need to set ?

_MS

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 3:19 AM
  • Hi Sandeep,

This is the wrong forum to ask about desktop apps.

It sounds like you either haven't signed the app correctly for UIAccess or it isn't properly placed in a secure location. UIAccess is not a trivial feature to use to hack your app on top of the start-screen. UIAccess should be used only for accessibility applications or for targeted test applications. It requires a strict and thorough security review as UIAccess apps have full access to the system.

--Rob

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 5:48 AM
    Owner