What is Azure RRS feed

• Question

• User88744855 posted

i hear the word Azure but do not know what is it. so anyone please tell me what is it ? is it MS new OS ? can i install this OS in my machine?

give me a tutorial which gives good knowledge about Azure for beginner.

some months ago a guy told me that Azure is best place to host WCF or asp.net project at free of cost. is it true that Azure is free of cost and people can host their asp.net & wcf app there. here i asked few question please give answer point wise. thanks

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 3:27 AM

Answers

• User541108374 posted

Hi,

start your journey here http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/ to learn all about it. Be prepared to read a lot as Windows Azure is a full blown technology stack with loads of options. It's not something you run on your laptop but is Microsofts cloud computing initiative. Very simply put: they provide an immense amount of servers on which you put your VM or make use of their platforms and/or services and the cost is per use.

some months ago a guy told me that Azure is best place to host WCF or asp.net project at free of cost. is it true that Azure is free of cost and people can host their asp.net & wcf app there

As stated in my former part of the reply you pay per use. However some parts are free in that way that you can make use of these for a certain amount of time or until certain criteria are met (bandwidth or memory usage for example). A good example of this are Windows Azure Websites. Likely that person referred to this possibility to run your projects on. Likely however he forgot to mention the limitations of the free option so keep those in mind.

Grz, Kris.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 11:12 AM

All replies

• User1508394307 posted

http://www.windowsazure.com

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 3:49 AM
  • User-1025342357 posted

To get started here is a tutorial

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/dd163896.aspx

Regards

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 4:11 AM
  • User541108374 posted

Hi,

start your journey here http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/ to learn all about it. Be prepared to read a lot as Windows Azure is a full blown technology stack with loads of options. It's not something you run on your laptop but is Microsofts cloud computing initiative. Very simply put: they provide an immense amount of servers on which you put your VM or make use of their platforms and/or services and the cost is per use.

some months ago a guy told me that Azure is best place to host WCF or asp.net project at free of cost. is it true that Azure is free of cost and people can host their asp.net & wcf app there

As stated in my former part of the reply you pay per use. However some parts are free in that way that you can make use of these for a certain amount of time or until certain criteria are met (bandwidth or memory usage for example). A good example of this are Windows Azure Websites. Likely that person referred to this possibility to run your projects on. Likely however he forgot to mention the limitations of the free option so keep those in mind.

Grz, Kris.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 11:12 AM
  • User88744855 posted

thanks for good brief insight. can u guide me how can i host my wcf apps or my asp.net web apps on azure platform. now i am learning so i need to host as a result i can see how it works on another machine at free of cost. i am student so i have no money to buy space. if u know any hosting company where i can host my asp.net web apps or wcf apps at free of cost for testing purpose then please let me know. thanks a lot.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 2:41 PM
  • User541108374 posted

Hi,

for testing purposes you can make use of the free WAWS (Windows Azure Web Sites) offering. Note however that you need to sign up with a credit card and have to make sure your spending limit is capped otherwise you'll start paying good money.

I suggest you also take a look if you're entitled to some students program, the equivalent of bizzspark or webspark, as that might also get you some free hours of Azure.

Grz, Kris.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 4:36 PM
  • User306858990 posted

No it's no a OS, but Azure or Windows Azure is a cloud computing

platform and infrastructure, created by Microsoft, for building, deploying and managing applications

and services through a global network of Microsoft-managed datacenters. It provides both

platform as a service (PaaS) and infrastructure as a service (IaaS) services and

supports many different programming languages, tools and frameworks, including both

Microsoft-specific and third-party software and systems. Windows

Azure is Microsoft's competing product to Amazon's AWS cloud

computing platform, Google App Engine, and other systems.

Sunday, April 21, 2013 11:45 AM