none
Outlook Addin Error on Release - "Add-in DLL path is not found." RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to Publish my Outlook 2013 Add-In for other people to use. I have installed my addin on my computer and to begin with when I clicked a ribbon button no window would load but it did in debug mode. For some reason now it seems to work fine on my PC however when installing it on several other peoples computers it installs and the ribbon is visible however when a ribbon button is clicked nothing happens (a window is meant to open). 

I decided to download "AddInSpy" and take a look at my app on both my computer and other peoples computers. All display the same error about my addin:

Add-in DLL path is not found. System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Users\Alexander Harvey\Desktop\Addin\Application Files\De_Facto_Addin_1_0_0_12\De_Facto_Addin.dll.deploy' or one of its dependencies. This assembly is built by a runtime newer than the currently loaded runtime and cannot be loaded.
    File name: 'file:///C:\Users\Alexander Harvey\Desktop\Addin\Application Files\De_Facto_Addin_1_0_0_12\De_Facto_Addin.dll.deploy'
       at System.Reflection.Assembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection)
       at System.Reflection.Assembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection)
       at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)
       at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoadFrom(String assemblyFile, Evidence securityEvidence, Byte[] hashValue, AssemblyHashAlgorithm hashAlgorithm, Boolean forIntrospection, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
       at System.Reflection.Assembly.ReflectionOnlyLoadFrom(String assemblyFile)
       at AddInSpy.AssemblyScanner.GetAssemblyInfo(String fileName, String hostName, Boolean isVstoAddIn)

I am completely stuck on this and have been trying to find a fix for 3 hours. So any help would be appreciated. Thankyou. 

• Edited by AlexHarveyUK Wednesday, October 23, 2013 12:28 PM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 12:26 PM

All replies

• Hi LiveKarma,

Thanks for posting in MSDN forum.

To resolve this issue, here are several questions we need to confirm with you.

What’s the .NET Framework version of the Target Framework in Outlook Add-in project? And what’s the version of Office on the end-user’s computer. How did you publish the add-in?

I suggest you try to install Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime to see whether this issue would be solved.

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, October 25, 2013 5:50 AM
  • Hi Jeffrey-Chen,

I am getting the similar. Outlook version I am using is 2010 and Microsoft .NET framework version 4.5.

I ran a outlook addin spy tool and got the following error message.

<StatusDescription>Add-in DLL path is not found. System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\MeetMeAddIn\BT MeetMe Outlook Add-In.dll' or one of its dependencies. This assembly is built by a runtime newer than the currently loaded runtime and cannot be loaded. File name: 'file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\MeetMeAddIn\BT MeetMe Outlook Add-In.dll' at System.Reflection.Assembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection) at System.Reflection.Assembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection) at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection) at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoadFrom(String assemblyFile, Evidence securityEvidence, Byte[] hashValue, AssemblyHashAlgorithm hashAlgorithm, Boolean forIntrospection, StackCrawlMark& stackMark) at System.Reflection.Assembly.ReflectionOnlyLoadFrom(String assemblyFile) at AddInSpy.AssemblyScanner.GetAssemblyInfo(String fileName, String hostName, Boolean isVstoAddIn) WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF. To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1. Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging. To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog]. </StatusDescription>

All I am trying to do is set up the addin for that I ran a installer created from visual studio 2013 using wix installer for customizing the user installation interface.

Could you please let me know if you have come across this error before and any resolution someone has found for this issue.

Thanks in advance. 

Friday, November 6, 2015 3:34 PM
  • Did you build the add-in assembly as Any CPU? 

Do you have the x64 edition of Outlook installed on the PC?

Make sure that all the required prerequisites were included to the add-in installer. You may find the following similar links helpful:

System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly

System.BadImageFormatException When Installing Program From VS2010 Installer Project

System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly (from installutil.exe) 

Friday, November 6, 2015 4:55 PM