Updates to Office Desktop or updates to Office Online are the same RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know if updates to the Office Desktop or updates to Office Online are the same and occur nearly at the same time so that the desktop version and web versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook remain as compatible to each other as much as possible?
    Monday, June 20, 2016 6:18 PM

Answers

• Hi JimBassett,

Do you develop with Office add-ins which is developed with Javascript and HTML? In my option, Office Desktop and Office Online are different products, I assume their updates may not the same, but I am not sure. If you are developing with Office add-ins, I think the new updates would not affect your current solutions, it is compatible with previous Office version. In addition, the compatibility is related with the Office add-ins APIS, the APIs for Office desktop is not all supported in Office online at present. They might be supported in the future.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 2:43 AM

All replies

• Hi JimBassett,

Do you develop with Office add-ins which is developed with Javascript and HTML? In my option, Office Desktop and Office Online are different products, I assume their updates may not the same, but I am not sure. If you are developing with Office add-ins, I think the new updates would not affect your current solutions, it is compatible with previous Office version. In addition, the compatibility is related with the Office add-ins APIS, the APIs for Office desktop is not all supported in Office online at present. They might be supported in the future.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 2:43 AM
  • Thank you Edward for the answer.  Yes we have been developing Office Addins for working with the Office clients and are new to Office_Addin_Apps (I don't know if this is the correct term now) that are developed with Web technology languages like JavaScript, HTML, AngularJS, etc.  We are aware that the web version of the Office apps do not support all the features found on the client version and are working our thru what we can do. We are also make use of the Office suggestion sites, a.k.a as UserVoice sites for voting for needed additions to the web version of Office Applications.

Jim

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 3:52 PM
  • Hi Jim,

Yes, it is Office add-ins. If you have any issue about Office add-ins, please feel free to post in this forum.

Best Regards,

Edward

Thursday, June 30, 2016 3:13 AM