none
Bypass Check Names prompt for similar mailbox names RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I'm hoping you could help with a question. Firstly let me say that I'm not an Outlook developer so apologies if I don't explain everything very well!

I'm configuring an application to send unattended/automated emails to lists of people whose mailbox names are retrieved from a database field. The emails are sent through Outlook and we're running Exhchange 2010. I have everything working fine, until one of the mailbox names that the application finds is similar to another one in the Global Address List. For example, if the list of mailboxes is:

Jane Doe; John Doe; Operations;

And in our Global Address list there are two mailboxes: one called Operations and another called Operations Unit

The email will not send. So, after a bit of head scratching I tried manually sending the email to the second list of people and found that the reason it isn't working is that Outlook prompts for me to confirm whether I want to send the message to Operations or Operations Unit. It appears that the unattended email sending cannot handle this, and so the mail just doesn't get sent at all.

So, I guess my questions is, how can I configure Outlook to bypass this check and just send the message to the actual address that I'm telling it to, i.e for the above example Operations and not Operations Unit?

I hope I've explained that okay; please let me know if there's any other details I can provide that would help.

Thanks, Matt

Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:09 PM

Answers

• Any time there's an ambiguous name to resolve Outlook will show that dialog. You can't avoid Outlook's name resolution, so you must supply the recipient information unambiguously. Supply the email address and not the name.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007

"Matt FTW" <=?utf-8?B?TWF0dCBGVFc=?=> wrote in message news:63a3d3bb-8eb4-4f7d-9e73-5649155ad0d5...

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping you could help with a question. Firstly let me say that I'm not an Outlook developer so apologies if I don't explain everything very well!

I'm configuring an application to send unattended/automated emails to lists of people whose mailbox names are retrieved from a database field. The emails are sent through Outlook and we're running Exhchange 2010. I have everything working fine, until one of the mailbox names that the application finds is similar to another one in the Global Address List. For example, if the list of mailboxes is:

And in our Global Address list there are two mailboxes: one called Operations and another called Operations Unit

The email will not send. So, after a bit of head scratching I tried manually sending the email to the second list of people and found that the reason it isn't working is that Outlook prompts for me to confirm whether I want to send the message to Operations or Operations Unit. It appears that the unattended email sending cannot handle this, and so the mail just doesn't get sent at all.

So, I guess my questions is, how can I configure Outlook to bypass this check and just send the message to the actual address that I'm telling it to, i.e for the above example Operations and not Operations Unit?

I hope I've explained that okay; please let me know if there's any other details I can provide that would help.

Thanks, Matt

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    • Marked as answer by Matt FTW Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:46 PM
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:27 PM

All replies

• show code how you add recipients to mail before sending
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:12 PM
  • Any time there's an ambiguous name to resolve Outlook will show that dialog. You can't avoid Outlook's name resolution, so you must supply the recipient information unambiguously. Supply the email address and not the name.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Matt FTW" <=?utf-8?B?TWF0dCBGVFc=?=> wrote in message news:63a3d3bb-8eb4-4f7d-9e73-5649155ad0d5...

Hi everyone,

Thanks, Matt

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    • Marked as answer by Matt FTW Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:46 PM
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:27 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Thanks for letting me know. Unfortunately I don't think I can retrieve the email addresses so it looks like it might be a no-go. But at least now I know!

Cheers
    Matt

Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:46 PM
  • What version of Outlook is being targeted?

If you are getting names from the GAL using code you are getting an AddressEntry object for each entry from the GAL. In Outlook 2010 as an example, you can use AddressEntry.GetExchangeUser.PrimarySmtpAddress to get the SMTP address for that GAL entry. That can be used to avoid ambiguity.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Matt FTW" <=?utf-8?B?TWF0dCBGVFc=?=> wrote in message news:c468c4b1-469e-4a96-ae4d-bb69dfc14558...

Hi Ken,

Thanks for letting me know. Unfortunately I don't think I can retrieve the email addresses so it looks like it might be a no-go. But at least now I know!

Cheers
    Matt

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:56 PM