Visual Studio 2010 - SQL 2008 or SQL 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I have just rebuilt my development platform i.e. I ran the Windows 7 Ultimate setup app on an X86 platform followed by a fresh install of Visual Studio 2010 Prof. Using VS I opened up a solution created before the rebuild which includes a connection to an .mdf file. On attempting to connect to this file I Got an error message of the  follwing type.

The database '.../XXX.MDF' cannot be opened because it is version 661. This server supports version 655 and earlier. A downgrade path is not supported.

Referring to this link http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlgetstarted/thread/0a4082a2-793e-42c3-9f68-95041002b4de, leads me to believe that VS2010 uses SQL Express 2008 for database access and that I had been using(unknowingly) SQL Express 2008 R2 during my previous development activities.

If that is the case two questions arise :-

Why does VS2010 install package install the four 2008 R2 components when I presume that these would also be incompatible with SQL Server Express 2008?

Is there a version of SQL Server 2008 R2 - since I assume that R2 is the latest and greatest version - that I can install on my machine and if so how do I tell VS to use 2008 R2 rather than plain old 2008?

I hope these questions do not seem like the meanderings of a raddled brain, but any light you can throw on them, would help me gain a better understanding of the relationship between  Visual Studio and SQL Server.

Incidentally, the instability that necessitated the development platform rebuid arose out of frequent installs and de-installs of different versions of SQL Server.

Sunday, August 29, 2010 5:25 PM

Answers

• Why does VS2010 install package install the four 2008 R2 components when I presume that these would also be incompatible with SQL Server Express 2008?

Once upgraded, the data files are not backward compatible anymore. So this is a epxected behavior. YOu will need to decide on which platform you want to distribute. You can create 2008 versions and upgrade them (upon Restore or attach automatically) during the deployment. But once being on the greater platform, you are bound to it data file wize.

Is there a version of SQL Server 2008 R2 - since I assume that R2 is the latest and greatest version - that I can install on my machine and if so how do I tell VS to use 2008 R2 rather than plain old 2008?

Sure, you can install both. When you come to deployment, the connection string will tell the application which instance to target. Though, the limitations of the point above still apply.

If you have any other questions, feel free to fire them in the forum.

-Jens

Jens K. Suessmeyer http://blogs.msdn.com/Jenss
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 7:04 PM

All replies

• Why does VS2010 install package install the four 2008 R2 components when I presume that these would also be incompatible with SQL Server Express 2008?

Once upgraded, the data files are not backward compatible anymore. So this is a epxected behavior. YOu will need to decide on which platform you want to distribute. You can create 2008 versions and upgrade them (upon Restore or attach automatically) during the deployment. But once being on the greater platform, you are bound to it data file wize.

Sure, you can install both. When you come to deployment, the connection string will tell the application which instance to target. Though, the limitations of the point above still apply.

If you have any other questions, feel free to fire them in the forum.

-Jens

Jens K. Suessmeyer http://blogs.msdn.com/Jenss
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 7:04 PM
  • I am experiencing the same error.  I created a database in vb.net (express) 2010 database explorer. I opened it with the management studio for 2008 r2. now I try to open it in the vb database explorer, and get the error:

cannot be opened because it is version 661. This server supports version 655 and earlier. A downgrade path is not supported.

Sooooooo,  what exactly is it I do to make vb able to open the 2008 r2 database??? if that is not an option, what management studio do I use?

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 8:20 PM
  • This is just an explanation and not an answer!  The originator arrived at this conclusion on his own - what is required is a step by step solution.  See _Speedy comment
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 10:02 AM