none
.NET 3.5 application not able to access WCF service written in .NET 4.5 RRS feed

• Question

• Gurus!

I and my team have recently written a WCF service using .NET 4.5, which is working fine with client applications written in .NET 4.5. Our WCF service is hosted in IIS 8 and uses wsHttpBinding. Now we also have a legacy application which was made over 4 years back, which now needs to connect to this new WCF service for data.

Initially, we thought that since SOAP is interoperable, there will be no problem while trying to access the WCF service in .NET 4.5 from the .NET 3.5 application. But we are observing that all the requests which the 3.5 application is sending are piling up in the IIS worker process.

What is the reason for this Gurus? Are there any special settings that need to be done at the client or server side so that an application written in .NET 3.5 can smoothly access the WCF service which is written in .NET 4.5?

Seeking your wisdom O Gurus!

Novice Kid

Thursday, April 16, 2015 10:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Novice Kid,

>>.NET 3.5 application not able to access WCF service written in .NET 4.5                                 

In my mind there should be no compatibility issue when a .NET 3.5 client consumes a WCF service in .NET 4.5, so as you said it should work, then could you please try to post the error message which you met when you tried to consumes a WCF service in .Net 4.5 with a .NET 3.5 client?

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, April 17, 2015 5:37 AM
  • Guru Amy,

The error message I am getting says:

An error occurred while receiving the HTTP response to http://MyAddress/MyService.svc. This could be due to the service endpoint binding not using the HTTP protocol. This could also be due to an HTTP request context being aborted by the server (possibly due to the service shutting down)

What I am observing is that when the service is being used concurrently by multiple users, all the requests are piling up in the w3wp worker process. I am using wshttpbinding and also using throttling to enhance performance.

Many thanks for taking a look at this Guru Amy. I would be grateful if you can help me to resolve this!

Novice Kid

Friday, April 17, 2015 10:03 AM
  • Hi Novice Kid,

>>An error occurred while receiving the HTTP response to http://MyAddress/MyService.svc. This could be due to the service endpoint binding not using the HTTP protocol. This could also be due to an HTTP request context being aborted by the server (possibly due to the service shutting down)

First please try to enable the WCF tracing to help get some detailed error information.

The following configuration taken from this MSDN article can be applied to enable tracing on your WCF service.

<configuration>
      <system.diagnostics>
        <sources>
          <source name="System.ServiceModel"
                  switchValue="Information, ActivityTracing"
                  propagateActivity="true" >
            <listeners>
                 <add name="xml"/>
            </listeners>
          </source>
          <source name="System.ServiceModel.MessageLogging">
            <listeners>
                <add name="xml"/>
            </listeners>
          </source>
          <source name="myUserTraceSource"
                  switchValue="Information, ActivityTracing">
            <listeners>
                <add name="xml"/>
            </listeners>
          </source>
        </sources>
        <sharedListeners>
            <add name="xml"
                 type="System.Diagnostics.XmlWriterTraceListener"
                 initializeData="Error.svclog" />
        </sharedListeners>
      </system.diagnostics>
    </configuration>

Then could you please try to post your config file in here?

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, April 27, 2015 6:47 AM