none
How to get file shares?

Question

• I just registered for a free trial on Azure to see about using files storage via SMB but my portal doesn't seem to have the "Files" tile that I would need so I cannot follow the instructions to set it up. Is this a restriction because it's a free trial, or is there something else I have to do to enable it?
    Monday, August 22, 2016 10:32 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I'm glad to hear that your issue is resolved.

Zone-redundant storage (ZRS) is currently available only for block blobs, and is only supported for versions 2014-02-14 and later. Once you have created your storage account and selected ZRS, you cannot convert it to use to any other type of replication, or vice versa.

Reference: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/documentation/articles/storage-redundancy/

Regards,

Vikranth S.

Kindly click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. And Vote as Helpful.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 2:15 PM
  • Hi Vikranth,

I have now create another storage account, and this one does let me create a file share! The two accnts look like this:

and

The main difference is I chose a different replication.

Anyway, that's a fix. Thanks for your help.

Regard,

Mark

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 1:22 PM

All replies

• Are you in portal.azure.com? Then click on More Services on the left navigation pane, then Storage account. Create your storage account. Click on it, then go into Files. Or is that hidden?

Can you compare the screenshots here  https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-dotnet-how-to-use-files/ the heading Create file share?
    Monday, August 22, 2016 11:50 AM
  • I did create a storage account.

I have been following that page but I don't have the Files tile, just a Blob tile. I cannot see a how to add a Files tile - it's not given as an option when I click Add Tiles+.

(I tried to put in an image of the portal here but it's not being allowed.)

Monday, August 22, 2016 12:00 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting here!

A general-purpose storage account has two performance tiers (stranded and premium)

It’s look like you have created premium storage account and not a stranded storage account.

Premium Storage is currently available only for storing data on disks used by Azure Virtual Machines. These disks are backed by page blobs in Azure Storage. Azure block blobs and the File, Table, and Queue services are not currently supported in premium storage accounts.

Stranded storage account allows you to store Tables, Queues, Files, Blobs and Azure virtual machine disks.

Regards,

Vikranth S.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. And Vote as Helpful.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 7:38 AM
  • Hi Vikranth,

Thanks for your response. However I have checked and I have a "Standard" account so your theory is not right.

Unfortunately I don't seem to be allowed to post images so I cannot show you but it says "Performance Standard".

Regards

Mark

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 7:54 AM
  • Hello,

Kindly verify your MSDN/TechNet forums account so that you can post images and links:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/15960.how-to-verify-your-msdntechnet-forums-account-so-that-you-can-post-images-and-links.aspx

Regards,

Vikranth S.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 8:24 AM
  • Hi Vikranth,

I've emailed "fissues" so hopefully will be verified soon.

Regards

Mark

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 9:14 AM
  • Hi Vikranth,

I have now create another storage account, and this one does let me create a file share! The two accnts look like this:

and

The main difference is I chose a different replication.

Anyway, that's a fix. Thanks for your help.

Regard,

Mark

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 1:22 PM
  • Hello,

I'm glad to hear that your issue is resolved.

Zone-redundant storage (ZRS) is currently available only for block blobs, and is only supported for versions 2014-02-14 and later. Once you have created your storage account and selected ZRS, you cannot convert it to use to any other type of replication, or vice versa.

Reference: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/documentation/articles/storage-redundancy/

Regards,

Vikranth S.

Kindly click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. And Vote as Helpful.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 2:15 PM