Change Target .NET Framework? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to set the target .net framework version in Expression Web 2?  My hosting service only has .NET framework 2.0, and EW 2 appears to default to 3.5.  The web.config file is throwing an error on this line:

<add name="ScriptModule" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptModule, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

I would like to change the .net framework target version after the fact, if possible.  I don't believe I am using any controls not in 2.0.

Michael
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 3:50 AM

Answers

• If you use File -> New -> Page, select ASP.NET, you'll have a choice of selecting Web Configuration 2.0 or Web Configuration 3.5.  EW doesn't default to one or the other.

If you start with a 2.0 config file (or with no config file) EW will prompt you to change to a / create a config file for 3.5, if you use a control requiring it.

If you already have a 3.5 file, it's up to you to create a 2.0 file and move whatever information you need into it - there is no automatic conversion.
    • Marked as answer by Michael1000 Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:42 PM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:20 AM

All replies

• If you use File -> New -> Page, select ASP.NET, you'll have a choice of selecting Web Configuration 2.0 or Web Configuration 3.5.  EW doesn't default to one or the other.

If you start with a 2.0 config file (or with no config file) EW will prompt you to change to a / create a config file for 3.5, if you use a control requiring it.

If you already have a 3.5 file, it's up to you to create a 2.0 file and move whatever information you need into it - there is no automatic conversion.
    • Marked as answer by Michael1000 Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:42 PM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:20 AM
  • Thanks, Kathy!  That worked, and was pretty straightforward.

Michael
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:42 PM